General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Got it. That's like using radiator stop leak. A band-aid patch that doesn't fix (and never will) the problem, and will usually cause problems of it's own.
Yeah, well I didn't think it'd do that great a job either but, it was recommended to me by a few other people who have used it. I guess it was just no good for my type of leak. Fail. Haha. It's probably good for a small leak in the hoses, but since I didn't have any... it had no where to go.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR
im doing ac on my car
first of all its completely empty
is it highly recommended to buy a new drier?
Not unless it's leaking. Get some dye, and charge the system with freon, and add the dye. That's the only reliable way to find a leak. Then we can go from there...
Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Not unless it's leaking. Get some dye, and charge the system with freon, and add the dye. That's the only reliable way to find a leak. Then we can go from there...
As he said the system was empty, I'd assume a leak. Not many people blow the charge for grins.

TPI, need more info. Have you had the system opened up to replace things? What makes you think it's empty in the first place? There's at least one or two things that could be wrong and make you think it was empty, and not be.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well there's a leak, but to pinpoint the location, you need to charge up the system and run it with dye, right? You cant just assume it's the dryer. TBH- I've heard the dryer is one of the least likely things to go out and need replacing. Usually it's the hoses, the compressor, condenser, vacuum pump... THEN dryer.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

I see from some other threads here that he's just spliced the system from an LS car into his car, so I think he's just empty from that. In that event, yes - you should replace the drier.

Actually, the drier goes out quite commonly with the right conditions. Once they are saturated with moisture, they're all done. It's just a dessicant cartridge.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you figure out the problem?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR
did you figure out the problem?
Yes, read post #16...
Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Thanks for the input guys. I took it to this guy I was referred to by a part's store. Took all day, thanks to a little obstacle, but no biggy. Had to replace the dryer, and my orfice was clogged up beyond belief. Which is probably why when I put in freon, it didn't do anything. None of it was able to work it's way through the system. Built up pressure, caused the dryer valve to leak. At least that's my theory anyway.
This guy does good work, very nice, stands behind his work, and has had plenty of experience with working on fbody's. I think I've found myself a new mechanic...
Thanks again for your info! Maybe when I get more money, and can invest in tools I'll only use once... I'll try and do it myself... haha.
There ya go.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, so... driving around with A/C has been GREAT to say the least, especially with it hitting 100+ degrees every day here.
One problem though...
It's stopped blowing cold today. WTF?!?!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Teching In

So it looks like if I repair any leak in the AC system, I should just go have someone fill it properly to save time and money.