General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spare key with VATS??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare key with VATS??

Hi,

I've only got one key for the ignition of my car, and I'd like a spare just in case. I guess it's easyier to get a new one cut whilst I still have the original one to hand?

I hear there's some sort of anti theft system chip in the key too, so where can I get a new spare key?
Will any key shop be able to make me a new key with VATS??

Thanks for the help....
Old 08-05-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

your local GM dealer should be able to do it, and yes its a lot easier to cut the key off of another if you have one in hand
Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I asked a lock smith how much for a vats key he said "40 bucks". lol

I get them cheap on ebay. Measure your key resistor chip with a multimeter, cross it on a vats chart, order a generic on ebay, have key cut locally.

http://www.vatskey.com/vats/vatskeylock.htm
Old 08-05-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Great stuff guys, thanks for the help, and the link !
Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If your existing key is old, I'd suggest buying a key online and then taking it to a dealer to get it cut. When there, make sure they "punch" a new one for you instead of using a regular key copier.

A new punched key will be exact to the originals and will last you longer. As our keys age, the edge erodes. Eventually, enough key will wear away so that the lock cylinder will not work. If you "copy" a half-worn key, you will then be left with two worn keys with less than full life on them. Doing this is more work, but given the expense of these blanks, I think its worth it. I think I've been charged $1-10 in the past for a key punch, depending on the dealer.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info
Old 09-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Launching!

I was in the same position and decided to pick one up today. The cheapest VATS key I could find online was ~$13 with shipping. Rather than do that, wait for it to arrive, and take it to the dealer to get cut....I just went to the dealer. In case anyone is wondering what it runs, it's $25.

Last edited by johnlv6; 09-10-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Staging Lane

You could always bypass VATS? But that's just another layer of security you're losing.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any GM dealer worth a crap can make you a new key; as long as they have the correct key blank(with the correct resistor). If you have an existing key all they have to do is use the PASS KEY INTERROGATOR the measure the resistance in you key and then they'll know which key blank to use. Once they have the correct blank they can simply trace cut the key but if your key has a lot of wear then I would suggest having them cut the key by code(using GM DEALERWORLD to get the key code from GM). In order to cut the key by code, the car HAS to have the original ignition lock because the original lock-set is what GM will have on record. By cutting the key by code and not tracing your existing key, the new key will be exactly like the keys that were from the factory (nice sharp edges). If the key is trace cut (copied) from a worn key, the new key shouldn't be AS bad as the worn one but it may copy the flaws from the old one. Some dealers charge to cut keys and some even charge to get key codes but we don't. Call around to different dealers and get the best price you can. We require proof of ownership (registration and/or title in your name and your drivers license). We will not make keys for anyone but the owner, unless we have a notarized letter stating the person ordering the key is an authorized person and we require that person to have their drivers license (we make copies of all proof of ownerships/licenses a nd keep them on file). We don't charge to cut the keys or get codes; we only charge for the part itself and most key blanks list for about $24.00.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by alottaboost
You could always bypass VATS? But that's just another layer of security you're losing.
I paid for a clean/stock vehicle. I'm not going to go off and homie rig it.

We will not make keys for anyone but the owner, unless we have a notarized letter stating the person ordering the key is an authorized person and we require that person to have their drivers license (we make copies of all proof of ownerships/licenses a nd keep them on file).
Lol. This one didn't (I would imagine that they aren't alone).

Last edited by johnlv6; 09-10-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Teching In

For our "older" Camaros like yours (and mine), hardware stores now have our keys with the chip for around $15. I know, the local ACE Hardware store by my parents sell 'em.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

I say just go to the dealer, its done right then. You will not have any issues.

Quick Reply: Spare key with VATS??