General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rough and hunting closed loop idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rough and hunting closed loop idle

This is what happens. In closed loop when I come to a stop at a signal and idle with be down a little and idle rough for a few secs then the idle will rev up and the idle won't be so rough. I drove the car for a week with the tps sensor unplugged and did't have this problem at all and the car had more power too. I thought maybe a bad plug connection so I soldered in a new harness and the problem is still there. I have tried another tps sensor and that didn't work. Does unplugging the tps put the car into open loop?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check for vacuum leaks. Make sure your throttle body is clean. Any codes stored? What are your O2 sensors reading when this happens?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

I have checked or replaced all the vacuum hoses for the pcv but will have to check others. As far as the 02 the short trims freeze and the the mv for the 02's drop from 3 digits to 2 digits when the idle drops. Starting with the first one on my predator then the second, third and fourth. I have tried new 02's and notta.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a vacuum leak but cleaning your TB, MAF and IAC could help.

Could also be MAF itself or O2 sensor or... really, lots of things. But check for a vacuum leak first.

You don't want to unplug TPS.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem, idle would drop down to about 600 when I put the clutch in coming to a stop, then it would even back out at 900 after a few seconds. I just changed my nasty spark plugs and all is now good.

Quick Reply: rough and hunting closed loop idle