General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

shudders and shakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shudders and shakes

44]Tonight when I got in the car I had a new problem. When coming from a stop, the car has begun shuddering and shaking badly from 1200rpms to 1800 in first and 1200- 1500rpms in 2nd. This is also accompanied by a grindiing or rubbing noise that is now present at this same rpm level. The car also has just started making a loud pop noise on low speed left turns from a stop. This is very bothersome as I have no idea what the problem is ,,, clutch, driveshaft, torque arm, rear end etc. I have the stock clutch with 32000 miles. I have the stock torque arm in right now (installing my UMI torque arm and relocation mount next weak along with a poly trans mount)
PS the last time I drove the car before this, I was a bit rough on her --but she didn't seem to mind.
Anybody have any similar problems or have an idea what it could be?[/QUOTE]
Old 08-16-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

When you put the new torque arm in, replace the tranny mount and it will probably take care of the vibration.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to install poly or solid motor mounts with a poly transmission mount. DO NOT do otherwise. Just the poly transmission mount adds WAY too much vibration, and people have also broken their transmission tailshafts that way.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

I just finished installing my new UMI torque arm relocation, Umi torque arm and poly tranny mounts. The banging is still there, all of the problems still there. Is it possible that I need new motor mounts, If so what are the symptoms? Is it possibly a problem with the drive shaft?
NEED HELP PLEASE-----
summer's almost over!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wheres the grinding and popping noise coming from? could be your differentials spider gears.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1Loudz28
wheres the grinding and popping noise coming from? could be your differentials spider gears.
Yeah I am starting to think that is what it is. It also appears that my motor mounts have failed simultaneously. I will be installing solid mounts next week, but will not be able to install a new rear end until early October

I am planning on replacing the 10-bolt with a Strange s60 with 4.10's. Does anybody have any experience with Strange s-60 good or bad.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1Loudz28
You are correct sir.
After having a friend get under the car while it was on the hoist, the problem was diagnosed as a loose exhaust clamp which had moved and was making intermitent contact with the driveshaft. Fixed that and it appeared to alleviate some of the noise. Took the car for a quick spin, got half way on the throttle then
KABOOM
The rear end is no longer with us. Go towards the bright light rear end ....
RIP 10 bolt 3.42