General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main seal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main seal?

Hey guys I am doing a clutch swap and my tranny is out at the moment I figures why not replace the RMS being that the car has 145,000 miles. I do have a very small oil leak already which could be the seal or the pan gasket. I know the seal pops right out, but do you need the special tool to install the new one or can you do it without?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheSecretFormula
Hey guys I am doing a clutch swap and my tranny is out at the moment I figures why not replace the RMS being that the car has 145,000 miles. I do have a very small oil leak already which could be the seal or the pan gasket. I know the seal pops right out, but do you need the special tool to install the new one or can you do it without?
You can do it without, just be gentle. Also check the oil gallery plugs at the back of the cam, they can leak too.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Launching!

I am actually almost positive the seal isn't leaking at all. I believe the small oil leak I have is from the pan. I just went under the car a little while ago and with the car sitting on an incline with the front higher than the rear all day the seal is bone dry. Would I be better off just leaving well enough alone? Oil gallery plugs seem dry as well.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a plug in the back of the crankshaft too that can leak.