General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No oil in the car? please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No oil in the car? please help

Hi everyone, I just bought a 98 Z28. Before I brought it home I checked the oil (dipstick) and it was fine (needs oil change but the level was fine). However i brought it home and checked it again, it was fine, then I cleaned the dipstick, put it back in, checked it again, and was damn near dry. Kept doing that, and kept coming out dry. I let it sit overnight, and checked the oil again this morning, and it was fine. When I cleaned the dipstick again and put it back in, took it out again, it was again damn near dry. I dont know whats going on, the oil pressure gauge is fine, the engine makes no weird noises, it doesn't smoke, there are absolutely no leaks anywhere, and the car runs very well. The dipstick is a two piece ( i dont know if its supposed to be like that, this is my first LS1.) The dipstick however, does rub quite a bit on the dipstick tube ( more than my truck.) so I really dont know whats going on. If anybody could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Are you checking the oil level with the engine running?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by F.G.
Hi everyone, I just bought a 98 Z28. Before I brought it home I checked the oil (dipstick) and it was fine (needs oil change but the level was fine). However i brought it home and checked it again, it was fine, then I cleaned the dipstick, put it back in, checked it again, and was damn near dry. Kept doing that, and kept coming out dry. I let it sit overnight, and checked the oil again this morning, and it was fine. When I cleaned the dipstick again and put it back in, took it out again, it was again damn near dry. I dont know whats going on, the oil pressure gauge is fine, the engine makes no weird noises, it doesn't smoke, there are absolutely no leaks anywhere, and the car runs very well. The dipstick is a two piece ( i dont know if its supposed to be like that, this is my first LS1.) The dipstick however, does rub quite a bit on the dipstick tube ( more than my truck.) so I really dont know whats going on. If anybody could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.
2 piece dipstick...what do you mean? Are both pieces connected though, by two rivets in the middle?

It should be very smooth going in and out. Being that the dipstick is flat and the tube is round, there's no way pulling out can whip the oil off the two flat sides. Those flat sides cannot touch the inside of the tube.

Coming out wet with oil one time, then totally dry the next time.....thats friggin wierd man.

This may sound dumb....but when you stick it back in to check it "again" each time...are you putting it all the way in where the dipstick snaps into place and cannot go in any further no matter what?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you:
1. walk up to the car
2. open the hood
3. pull the dipstick
4. read the level oil
You are not getting an accurate reading. What you are seeing is oil that splashed onto the dipstick while the motor is running.

You need to add two more steps.
3.1. wipe dipstick clean
3.2. insert and remove dipstick again

So the second reading you've been getting is the accurate reading. You need to add oil, or change the oil and put in the corect amount.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

when I check the oil the motor is off. I do wipe the dipstick, put it in again, and so on, the dipstick does snap in place, and yea by two piece I mean it is connected by rivets. I'm about to change the oil. thank you all for your help. if anyone else has input please post up.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

when I check the oil the motor is off. I do wipe the dipstick, put it in again, and so on, the dipstick does snap in place, and yea by two piece I mean it is connected by rivets. I'm about to change the oil. thank you all for your help. if anyone else has input please post up.
Since you're doing a new oil change I suggest you do what I did years ago.

When you are ready to pour the new oil in....pour just three qrts in and then put the clean/dry dipstick in. Take it out and see where it is on the dipstick. Then take a file and mark the dipstick. Then pour the 4th qrt in and do the same thing. Then the 5th. Then put the last 1/2 qrt in there and mark that too for you 5 1/2 qrt full-level mark.

Then in the future, whenever you check the oil level, you will be able to know exactly how much oil you have in there or have burned over a given period of time. Too many people just guess and they reall have no clue. I did mine at 1/2 qrt increments starting at 3 qrts. Long and short file marks make up the qrt increments and the 1/2 qrt increments.

But if you do this, each time you pour the next amount in you will have to wait about 15 minutes for it to make it to the pan so its accurate. There will always be an amount coating everything inside the engine, but this method is just about dead on ***** accurate. While your draining the oil and putting the new filter on, leave the new oil laying out in the sun so it gets a little heated and pours in faster. It will get to the pan faster that way.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Only thing I can think of that would cause something that weird is there would have to be something getting stuck in the tube wiping the stick clean. But only sometimes. Then other times it's coming out with the stick and you get a good reading. But don't know what the heck that would be or why. Just the only way I could come up with this happening.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My didstick is riveted together like yours. I wouldn't worry about that.

If I had just bought this car I would drain the old oil and note how much comes out. Then fill with 5 qts of cheap 5W20 conventional oil, old filter still on the car and start it and let it idle for 20 mins. This flushes the old crap out without the risks associated with various oil additives/sea foam/etc. Drain the oil again, change the filter, and put in new oil of your choice.

Then I would monitor the condition for a while.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you all for your feedback. I changed the oil already (wish I would have read all the posts before doing so) and the car only had 2 quarts in there, and the filter was really loose. The car is running very good, but I will keep checking the oil every now and then. Today I'm gonna change the spark plugs and wires.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you all for your feedback. I changed the oil already (wish I would have read all the posts before doing so) and the car only had 2 quarts in there, and the filter was really loose. The car is running very good, but I will keep checking the oil every now and then. Today I'm gonna change the spark plugs and wires.
Better have a couple of beers handy, you'll need them
Old 08-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Scira
Better have a couple of beers handy, you'll need them
Man it took me forever to change the plugs yesterday, and I busted my knuckles pretty bad. cylinder #8 was a real pain, luckily I had a budy helping me out and his arms are pretty long and thin. I hope I dont have to do this too often.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the next time, #8 is easy to remove from the bottom.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eseibel67
For the next time, #8 is easy to remove from the bottom.
Thank you I'll do that next time