General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C problem!! QUICK HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C problem!! QUICK HELP PLEASE

My A/C went out all of a sudden, air is not blowing cold!! One day it worked, the next it didnt. I live in AZ and the average temp right now is about 114F. Quick help will be appreciated. First I thought, maybe a leak. So I bought a recharging kit, when I hooked it up the PSI was in the correct pressure. I then put the car in nuetral and turned the AC to max, air blows through all the right places, just not cold. The clutch on the compressor turns on, so im assuming the compressor works. I thought maybe there could be a blockage somewhere so I went to a local shop. After their inspection they said that the compressor didnt work and would have to be replaced along with the accumulator. They replaced the orifice tube and said the old had some metal shavings. I havent gotten a second opinion, but I think there just trying to make a quick buck! A have a couple of questions.

Is the accumulator supposed to be hot or cold?
Is their anything else i can try before forking out all that cash (replacing sensor, pressure blockage)?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They replaced the orifice tube??? So they recharged the system after they did that, and it still blows warm?

The dryer should be very cold and wet with A/C "on". If the compressor is working, and the dryer is getting cold...but no cold air is blowing..."blockage".

But if you have metal shavings in the system...your compressor is probably not working. Might look like its spinning but it could have come apart inside, thats where metal shavings can come from.

If the dryer stays warm the clutch probaboly isn't engaging. May be a bad pressure sensor and its just not engaging the clutch.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See if you can find any heavy frost buildup on your lines, that'll usually indicate a blockage on the low side, hot spots can indicate a blockage on the high side-condenser should have a gradual temperature change from top to bottom--if not thats another sign of a blockage.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

yea..hmmm sounds like a compressor to me.