General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Getting a slow battery drain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Getting a slow battery drain?

I'm getting a slow battery drain that occurs over about two days time on an intermittent basis. It doesn't always drain, but when it does it's only good to last for about a day or two. The battery has been replaced twice, new alternator (twice), new battery connectors (post connectors) and cleaned all grounds. I have had it tested before for parasitic draw with no luck finding anything substantial (don't forget though it is an intermittent problem it seems). Could a chip/module be staying on once in awhile causing battery rundown? What would be a likely cause, alarm (factory)?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

well obviously something is stayin on or grounding out...check all cargo/interior lights, glove box lights etc...first. then start checking things like the clock on the radio, instrument panel lights being on or some stujpid stuff like that. other than that, i cant think of anything...grab a multimeter, start checking grounds on sensors and electrical parts, you might find something.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Doing it today, thanks man. That's my first step I suppose is to look for lights staying on.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Couldn't find anything. I notice that when I lock the car by manually locking the doors I get "0" battery drain! That is to say, when I don't use the keyless entry or the power door locks it's fine. I think somehow either the alarm or door lock actuator may be faulty? Anyone heard of this? They both pass through the bcm I believe (body control module). Also I think the trunk release may run through there and I noticed water in my trunk the other day. Of course, just to make it more complicated I don't know if my trunk was left open, popping itself open, or nothing to do with my power drain at all.

If all this sounds jumbled and confusing, it probably is
Old 10-06-2009, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BCM issue perhaps?

BCM fix