General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

VATS Problem, Need Help

Old 09-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS Problem, Need Help

Hey All,

Got a '97 Camaro with the infamous VATS issue. When I go to start the car sometimes the starter just clicks, the security light comes on and it wont let me start the car till it goes off. It got really bad last week to the point where not only did it happen every time I would go to start the car, but I would have to go through three key-cycles (roughly 15 mins of waiting) before it would finally crank. The other day I sprayed dielectric cleaner into the lock cylinder and on the key pellet (I cleaned the pellet with an eraser earlier to no avail), and it started every time after that with no problem, including the following morning. I thought that this had solved the problem until it did it again. I have used the dielectric cleaner before starting it and it seems to help, but I'm not sure.

Does it seem like the problem lies in the lock cylinder, as in the cylinder is dirty? Or is it most likely the wires from the cylinder are loose? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Search this Thread