General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

engine locked up

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine locked up

ok so im new to this forum and am desperate to get my problem resolved. i have a 2002 camaro z28 which i love to death. my problem is that when i went to start it this morning it made a loud grinding noise similar to that of a t.v. with no cable running. anyway i talked to people and found out it was the starter. i bought a new one and my friend and i installed it . the problem now is that it seems something is caught in the flywheel bc when i went to turn the engine over it started, made a loud clanking noise and then stopped, as though the transmission got stuck on something. we even tried to turn the crank pulley to move the flywheel to a better spot for the starter gear to catch but there is not flatspot on the flywheel. im so frustrated bc my friend and i spent all day working on it and i felt like i wasted 200 dollers on a starter. so plz get back to me and let me kno what ya think. much appreciated!!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like something inside the engine has let go.........

Was it easy to turn the engine by the crank pulley?

Was it running perfectly fine the last time you drove it and turned the engine off?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

thnx for the quick reply. the crank pulley took a lot of effort to turn and even felt like it got stuck at times. the car was fine last night and i went to turn it on this morning when all this happened. it really sounds like something is loose in the block even. i just dont kno what and if it is id hate to think how expensive it would be to fix
Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cure07
thnx for the quick reply. the crank pulley took a lot of effort to turn and even felt like it got stuck at times. the car was fine last night and i went to turn it on this morning when all this happened. it really sounds like something is loose in the block even. i just dont kno what and if it is id hate to think how expensive it would be to fix
What do you mean "it was fine last night." Did it run fine and perform normally last night?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

yea the engine and car were running great on thursday night. friday morning was when all the trouble started
Old 09-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Launching!

The crank will not turn easily unless you remove all spark plugs. Did you do this before attempting to turn it?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

What did you find?