General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

has this happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has this happened to you?

ok so i have posted a few threads on what happened to me last week and have not really gotten helpful answers so i think i should ask this question differently. has anyone ever experienced this with an ls1 powered camaro/transam (more specifically, 2002 z28):

drove previous day where car was running fine(no knocks,rattles,transmission slips, etc) mine has about 60k on the motor

woke up the next day and went to start the engine. in addition to the engine turning over it makes a horrible loud rattling/clanking that seems to be residing in towards the back of the engine

when told it was the starter u go to replace it and it makes the same noise but suddenly the rattling of the engine feels like it catches on something and shuts off? u try to manually turn the crank pulley but the flywheel/flexplate only moves a few inches left/right?

the reason i ask this is because this has happened to me. idk if it is the flexplate or maybe a pushrod broke within the block. i just want to ask before i pull the oil pan off. I have dropped the tranmission but am unable to break the bellhousing off of the oil pan free because i cant turn the flexplate to get to the torque converter bolts. so PLEASE if anyone has insight please respond ASAP. idk what is going on because the motor only has 60K and has not been driven hard. thnx guys!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you take the starter out? It may somehow still be engaged with the teeth of the flexplate and that's why you can't turn the motor
Old 09-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Teching In

i seen one do this that the reluctor wheel came loose on
Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

starter is out and new one is in. however it looks like my old starter snapped at the top when removing it and im not positive all parts are accounted for so maybe its lodged in there? you dont think its the engine?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93306
i seen one do this that the reluctor wheel came loose on
what is that? and it had all the symptoms of what happened to me?