General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fire!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fire!!

Not sure if this is the right section but here it is. So last night I was driving to go get some gas and as I was leaving the gas station my car started sputtering and all my lights inside were dimming and flashing like they weren't getting any power. Then it dies in the middle of the intersection. When I go to start it, it revs up to around 4500 in park and neutral but when I put it in gear it starts sputtering again, this is when I notice smoke coming from under my hood so I pull off the road into a parking lot. I open my hood and my **** is on fire. The wires coming off the battery and going underneath on the passenger side towards the starter are burning away. So after I get the fire put out I have a friend come help me load it up on a trailer to take it home and he says it could have been the starter staying engaged and causing those wires to get hot, but I have no idea I haven't even had a chance to get under there and look.

This was the third time I've driven the car in the past week. (been down all summer for turbo build) When I finally get to drive it it catches on fire go figure...

Any help/suggestions would be appreaciated.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Could have been the starter wire possibly got on the headers and grounded out.Your 02sensor wires also run in the harness about 1 inch from your headers on the passenger side.Numerous people have had the 02 wires burnt into by the headers but never heard of a case to catch the harness on fire.Sounds more like the starter wire.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Thats true, starter wires are normally unfused, and a direct connection to the battery positive terminal. If they melted to a header it would literally get so hot it would turn the wire into ash. Ask me how I know? Dipstick+tube+blind stabbing into the oil pan+starter hot wire= no more dipstick
Old 10-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Launching!

All I can think of is the starter but there isn't anything touching my manifolds going to the turbo, plus all of that is wrapped and sprayed so I don't know.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tkimrey
All I can think of is the starter but there isn't anything touching my manifolds going to the turbo, plus all of that is wrapped and sprayed so I don't know.
Its also possible that the started wire insulation has been cut by the engine mount ive also seen that happen before also.Everything in your engine bay is fused except for your starter wire.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Thats true, starter wires are normally unfused, and a direct connection to the battery positive terminal. If they melted to a header it would literally get so hot it would turn the wire into ash. Ask me how I know? Dipstick+tube+blind stabbing into the oil pan+starter hot wire= no more dipstick
Not laughing too hard but you gotta admit looking back THATS SOME FUNNY **** RIGHT THERE LOL.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Could be, those wires are like 10 years old now...
Old 10-11-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by frazierboy98
Not laughing too hard but you gotta admit looking back THATS SOME FUNNY **** RIGHT THERE LOL.
The dip stick was glowing.......pinned between the hot terminal on the starter and shorting to one of the headers.

OP, once you dive in, Im sure the problem will show itself.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The dip stick was glowing.......pinned between the hot terminal on the starter and shorting to one of the headers.

OP, once you dive in, Im sure the problem will show itself.
Damn man that sux.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Ok, I just crawled under the car and the power wire coming off the starter that runs to the battery is a crisp and also the ground of the battery to my engine block is burned as well, I think it was just because it was next to the wire that was on fire.

Now my question is, could a malfunctioning starter have caused the wire to get too hot and catch on fire??
Old 10-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tkimrey
Ok, I just crawled under the car and the power wire coming off the starter that runs to the battery is a crisp and also the ground of the battery to my engine block is burned as well, I think it was just because it was next to the wire that was on fire.

Now my question is, could a malfunctioning starter have caused the wire to get too hot and catch on fire??
Not very likely although the starter is more than likely bad now the armeture is prolly burnt to a crisp.The positive simply grounded somewhere instead of it heating up just the hot wire it shorted the battery also thats why the ground melted 2.You have to remember the ground is attached to the engine and the frame so if it grounded anywhere it followed back through the negative also.