General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tick when engine warm - pin?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tick when engine warm - pin?

After taking my 97 Z28 93k miles to the shop they said the ticking noise I'm hearing around the flexplate/torque converter area is a wrist pin. The noise isnt there at a cold start up. But appears after the engine warms up and the oil pressure drops from 40-45ish psi to 18-20psi at idle. I can only hear it at idle also.

They claim they checked the torque converter bolts and used a "video stick" to check the flexplate for cracks. They said they used a scope and could hear it at the very back of the oil pan. Quoted me about $4000 for a used engine and labor

Car runs fine other than when I'm sitting at a warm-hot idle and hear that noise.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

It could be a wrist pin, but I don't think it's likely. However, your oil pressure is definitely on the low side at idle. Any idea what a video stick is? Never heard of that before.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

I guess I'm going to have another shop look at it too. Yeah I've read different opinions on what the oil pressure should be at idle so I dont know. I didnt ask them what a video stick is, but I assumed its something with a little camera on it so they can see in tight spaces.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

i have that tick at cold start up and when i rev the car up a little is goes away.ill wait and see what you find out first.plus i have a weard noise at 2500 rpm and dont know what that is i hope it ant a rod barring couse its real faint
Old 10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by capt.ld
i have that tick at cold start up and when i rev the car up a little is goes away.ill wait and see what you find out first.plus i have a weard noise at 2500 rpm and dont know what that is i hope it ant a rod barring couse its real faint
Bad rod bearings aren't real faint.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Sounds like a converter issue - the same thing happened to my Moms' 70 Chevelle SS a few years back.

It sounded like a bad bearing or a rod, but on cold days you wouldn't hear the noise until the motor was warm, no sounds in the RPM range, would drive perfect.

We replaced the converter and it hasn't come back since.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Upon further thinking of this issue..

The OP said:
They said they used a scope and could hear it at the very back of the oil pan. Quoted me about $4000 for a used engine and labor.

Of course the noise would be heard at the back of the oil pan, it's not like they could put a scope and listen on the torque converter while the motor is running.

I dunno if I would trust this shop anymore, but, good luck.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

mine sounds like a lifter when i start it up and dont touch the gas.it goes away.but the other noise is only at 2500 rpm.got it sounds like a bearing hell it only has 53000 miles on it.but never heard it before till the converter hell that dam thing only has 3000 miles on it.cost me $600.00 used but been cleaned before it put it in.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like the converter is your best bet. I'd take it to a different shop though, they sound kind of shady to me. A video stick? Sounds like bs to me.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Well I let took it to my friends dads shop. They listened to it for a bit and said it doesnt sound anything like a wrist pin. They said that would be louder and Id hear it more when its cold.

They seem to think its a cracked flexplate making the noise at idle. I'll know for sure Tuesday when they unbolt the converter and look it all over real good.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

well i dont think mine is it kinda goes away when warm but im thinking a rod barring is sounds just like it but not that loud when warm.its sounds like the bottom end.you know what they sound like in high rpm.but nothing in idle after is warms up.dam i just about got it sold.i put that dam moble1 sentec in it then that dam noise came in.think ill change the oil to castrol 20-50 and see if it goes away.ill let you guys know 53000 miles wtf my oil psi stays at 45 at idle and 55-60 on the road driving
Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not piston slap is it? All Ls motors do it..... even more so when the weather is cold
Old 11-07-2009, 04:36 AM
On The Tree

that might be it not that bad warm but cold it sounds like a rod.but it could be piston slap.havent checked it yet.been working everyday.but i have been driving it and it dont get louder or nothing.just hear it at 2500 prm.i think a rod would be all the time no matter what rpm your at
Old 11-08-2009, 03:40 AM
Staging Lane

Well I still dont know what the retarded noise is on my car. The mechanic asked me what kind of oil I put in it. I said 0w30 German Castrol Syntec...he told me to get rid of it and put in 10w30 dino oil. Also that my motor mounts are bad? I would think if it was the engine hitting the frame it would do it when the motor is cold too.

Quick Reply: Tick when engine warm - pin?