Print Wikipost

Battery size and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery size and replacement

2002 TA, I've owned it for 3 years now.

It has an AC Delco battery, catalog #1806, 525 cca. I'm assuming this is the original battery, so it's going on 7+ years old. It's starting to leak corrosion around the positive terminal. I cleaned it off a few weeks ago, and now the terminal looks nasty again. I figure it's time to replace it.

My question is: although this battery lasted quite a while, is there a better bang for the buck out there? Could I fit a larger capacity battery in there? Not much room available for a physically larger battery.

Thanks
John
Old 10-28-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car sits for the winter in my garage, and i would put the original acdelco battery on float charge on my workbench, and it started leaking at the side terminals.
the problem with any replacement battery, except for the optima which is the only one i know of, is all the side terminals sit below the electrolyte level so by design they will eventually leak. my acedelco was fine after 5 years except the side posts started leaking. if you look at the optima for the f-body, it's side posts are up off the top cover so that can't happen. the optima cost more but if you take care of it and it lasts twice as long as an oem battery then it's worth it, otherwise you take your chances with any other battery, some last over 5 years other start leaking sooner. other than that, as long as the new battery you buy is actually new and fully charged there's no difference among autozone, diehard, or acdelco batteries, just have to buy the one sized to fit the battery tray. or look into what batteries come with what warranty, and see how the price compares for the battery with the longest warranty for the shitty side post design.

Quick Reply: Battery size and replacement