General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

fuel problem? help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problem? help!

i was driving my car a few weeks ago when it suddenly just stopped running seemed like there wasnt getting any fuel from the pump. got it towed home and then it started right up and i drove it for another week with no problems. then it quit on me again.

pretty sure it was the fuel pump since i didnt hear it prime when i turned the key to the on position. so i saved up enough money for the pump and got it today. put it in car still wont start and pump wont prime. the car has all the signs of wanting to start but seems like no fuel is getting up to the engine. also replaced the fuel pump relay under the driver side kick panel. still didnt work. i have been told there is 2 fuel pump relays? is this true? does anyone know where the second one would be. so what do ya'll think is my problem? any help is appreciated.
and there is gas in the tank
96 firebird 3.8
Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Well, for starters quit throwing parts at it and start troubleshooting. What's the fuel pressure? Is there flow through the filter? What voltage do you see at the pump? Etc, etc.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok not saying this is it, but I had a problem like that about a year and a half ago. Getting on the interstate and was in one of the moods to just go so after I passed about 10 cars it just quit. Nothing no power sounded like it wanted to start but just wouldn't quite start. Few min later it started and ran fine for another month. Did it again. No pump prime like you were saying. Took it to the shop. Pump was fine everything was fine. Couldn't figure it out. Did it again a week later. Turned out to be the MAF. One of the little elements or whatever they are called was broken. Found that by chance. I did all that fleetmgr said too. Just sharing what happened to me and what it was.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info guys.

so i took my "new" pump out of the car and tried to see if it would prime by itself by hooking it up to a battery and nothing happened. luckily i still have my older fuel pump. i did the same thing to that and it started to work. so basically today i got a crap fuel pump.

and since the older pump works i put it in my car and connected the relay thingy or w.e you call it to the connector under the car behind the back seat. time to prime comes and nothing happens? it seems like the connecter under the car doesnt want to seat into it. so im confused now lol

but hopefully im gonna get my 400$ back from chevy 2maro. other than that i still dont know what the problem is. kinda leaning towards the MAF like breathing fire said but i just dont get a bad MAF would not allow the fuel pump to prime idk
Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you getting power at the underbody connector?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Teching In

i checked the voltage on one of the metal prongs and it read somewhere around 6.60 votls when the key was in the on position, im assuming thats what your gettin at right?