General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

tps question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tps question

well i have been having transmission issues lately and i went to my neighbor that is the only tranny shop in town and he said it sounded like my tps was sticking... basically what it is doing is if i get on it out of first and basically let off out of it at the top end of first, when i go to get back on the gas it acts like it is in neutral until it hits about 2500 rpms and then starts pulling again, but when you keep giving it gas it doesnt want to shift to the next gear.... but if it starts doing that and you put it in neutral it goes back to normal... so anyway tonight i got in the car and it was idling at like 1500 rpms until it got warm and then slowly started dropping.... so i hooked my computer up to it and it was showing that the TPS was at like 7-9% when i wasn't on the gas... after a while it finally quit, but i know if i go start it up right now it will do it again.. the voltage when it was doing that if i recall correctly was around 0.87v or somewhere around that number... i know the percent is right, but not sure on the volts part
is this just the need of a new TPS, or could it be something else like the IAC or something like that? i know its kind of a dumb question, but i hate replacing something that seems wrong and it always ends up not being wrong for me lol
i posted this in the ltx section also but i figured might as well try here

also, i'm not so much worried about the transmission issues because its still under warranty and i really don't think its a clutch pack problem or anything like that, but i'm just wondering if the tps running at 7-9% when i'm not touching the throttle actually means that the tps is bad or if it could be another thing causing it
ive also checked to see if anything is in the way of the butterflies or if they move alright and they look fine and move fine so i dont think its anything with the TB

Last edited by squeals99; 11-01-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

try resetting the TPS, disconnect the the sensor then turn in key to the on position for 30 sec. turn key off reconnect TPS sensor and see if this fixes your problem.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

k tried it today... still the same thing... so i pulled the old one off and it looked pretty bad in there... the plastic inside that actually moves was rubbing really badly and coming apart... so i could def. see why it was sticking
slapped a new one on and it seems alright now
Old 11-01-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ummm, yeah, didn't you get the memo about the tps sensor?