General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Vibration

On my 99 Formula, I have a pretty bad vibration in the steering wheel. When I first get in the car and start to drive it's real bad, but the longer I drive, it starts to go away, not completely, but not as bad as when I first start moving. It also seems the longer I go between driving it the longer it takes for the vibrating to decrease. It also occasionally has a Service Engine light, but it clears itself after restarting the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

A whole list of things to check for the vibration ranging from a dead suspension to a bent rim, but I think the first thing I'd have looked at is the tires. Have them check for a tread separation.

Not enough info to help on the SES light. Take it to AZ or someone like them and have the codes pulled.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree thet you need to check your tires. It sounds like they are flat spotting while sitting. This happens on large bias tires. If it's hapening on your lo-pro radials you have a problem.

Check the last 3-4 digits of the DOT number on your tires. They tell you the date of manufacture. For example 519 would be the 51st week of 1999, and 1207 would be the 12th week of 2007. If the tires are more than 7 years old get new ones as they may fail suddenly.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help so far, I'll take a look at the tires when I get home, I'm at work right now, I just got the tires back in Feb. of this year,
I can't remember when extactly this started, but I think it was before I got new tires.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Launching!

does the vibration get worse with speed? or does it go away or even out. do you feel it in the steering wheel? do you feel it while braking? is it noisey or is it just a vibration. if noise, front or rear? does it go away if you turn right or left (lane change)?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Checked the tires they looked ok, The vibration dosent get worse with speed, and it eventually evens out, but its still there, barely noticible, and its through the steering wheel, braking dosent effect it, and no noise just vibration, turning makes no difference on it.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like your tires r starting to chop..put your car on a jack and spin your front tires,see if its hopping. you can also spin it and put your hand on it and feel if its choppy or feathering..

if you have road hazard go get them balanced for freee!! ha