General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key will not turn, IKLC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key will not turn, IKLC?

My cars ignition wil not turn. I tried both keys, unlocking the steering wheel, etc. It just wont turn. Im thinking its the ignition key lock cylinder. It was replaced about 6 years ago by a mechanic. If that is what it is, will I have to get it from GM or a local parts store? I want to try doing it myself, but am terrified I will screw something up. The manual I have scares me away from it. Oh and the car is for sale and someone wants to look at it asap. Talk about being in a bind.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 329 Likes on 301 Posts

Got to ask the stupid question... Have you tried cranking the steering wheel to either side when you turn the key?

Is it a manual or automatic transmission?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Got to ask the stupid question... Have you tried cranking the steering wheel to either side when you turn the key?

Is it a manual or automatic transmission?
I have, and its an automatic.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

could be a neutral safety switch being an automatic. also if you have the chip in your key you will not only buy a new cylinder from an auto parts store but then you'll have to bring your old key and the new key blank to the dealer to have them cut a new key with your old chip into it so...just remember that when you buy the cylinder from the store if you do have the VATS system.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by waiting2bl33d
could be a neutral safety switch being an automatic. also if you have the chip in your key you will not only buy a new cylinder from an auto parts store but then you'll have to bring your old key and the new key blank to the dealer to have them cut a new key with your old chip into it so...just remember that when you buy the cylinder from the store if you do have the VATS system.
Good advice about the neutral safety swicth and the heads up about the key if I replace the ignition cylinder.