General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Issues

The day before I put my car away for winter storage, I accidentally drove it with the e-brake not quite all the way off. After about ten minutes I lost my brakes completely and had to coast to a stop on the gravel at the side of the road. I let it sit to cool down once I realized what had happened, then limped it home. The brakes work fine now, but the e-brake light on my dash won't go out now. Help!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the e-brake is completely independent of your normal (hydraulic) brakes,
if you had "no brakes" when hitting the brake pedal and had to coast to a stop, you have other problems.

and if you had the ebrake handle up only a few clicks, the parking brake shoes barely touch the rotor, you would have to have the ebrake handle up about 4-5 clicks before you'd actually start wearing the parking brake shoes as you drove.

and there's a switch under the center console where the ebrake handle is, if the ebrake light on the dash, i think it's red and just says "Brake", is on then it's at that switch, which is no big deal really it doesn't affect anything. but if it's the ABS light on the dash then that's different.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Weird, my mechanic said I'd likely boiled my brake fluid and that was why I'd had no brakes. He looked it over and said the brakes are fine, and it was related to the e-brake. I'll try that switch. And yes, its just the emergency brake light thats on, not the ABS
Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Time for a new mechanic...the one you're talking to is clueless.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

So what would cause that light to stay on?
Old 11-18-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Oh, and it wasnt so much that I had "no" brakes, they just didnt work until the pedal was right to the floor, and then it was quite weak
Old 11-18-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LadyDriven
So what would cause that light to stay on?
These switches can get stuck when they get old. Too much dirt/dust/pop etc.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

sadly, on our cars the e-brake is completely independent from the break system on the car. the e-brake is engaged by a cable instead of by fluid pressure. also the e-break on our cars is located inside the rear disc its a little mini drum break of sorts. look at your brake fluid reservoir under the hood and see if the fluid is clear or black...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm not sure about a '95 but on the later model cars, the brake light is more than just an e-brake light. It could mean a larger issue with the actual braking system. The light will come on when your brake lever switch is engaged - but it doesn't tell you anything about the e-brake. Its other function is to warn you of a hydraulic brake problem.

My '99 owners manual (in the gague light section) says that the Brake light coming on while you are driving is an indication of a brake system failure. It also mentions that if this light comes on while you are driving and you notice a stiff pedal or a pedal that goes to the floor; that you should have the car towed immediately and have the brake system serviced.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
I'm not sure about a '95 but on the later model cars, the brake light is more than just an e-brake light. It could mean a larger issue with the actual braking system. The light will come on when your brake lever switch is engaged - but it doesn't tell you anything about the e-brake. Its other function is to warn you of a hydraulic brake problem.

My '99 owners manual (in the gague light section) says that the Brake light coming on while you are driving is an indication of a brake system failure. It also mentions that if this light comes on while you are driving and you notice a stiff pedal or a pedal that goes to the floor; that you should have the car towed immediately and have the brake system serviced.
this is 100% correct.

Quick Reply: Brake Issues