General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC took a crap

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AC took a crap

And before I take it to the dealer I figured I try trouble shooting first... Now with my general knowledge of Hvac systems, I checked the low pressure switch by bypassing it. Makes no differance, The compressor still kicks on and I tried to top off the refridgerent but it wouldnt take any. Im a little lost on what the issue could be, The systems simple. If the compressor is on then the refridgerent is circulating, which should blow cold but this is not the case.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have a plugged orifice tube.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
You may have a plugged orifice tube.
yeah, plugged with pieces of a disintegrated pump. haha. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

If you really want to get into it, buy I set a gauges from harbor freight ($40) or there are plenty of shops (at least in my area) that will do an AC check for free.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is no low pressure switch on a ls1 f-car system, so what connector did you jump?

There is a clutch on the compressor, and a pressure switch on the high side (3 wire sensor), that works as a low and a high pressure cutoff with the pcm providing the logic.

Ryan
Old 11-23-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow
There is no low pressure switch on a ls1 f-car system, so what connector did you jump?

There is a clutch on the compressor, and a pressure switch on the high side (3 wire sensor), that works as a low and a high pressure cutoff with the pcm providing the logic.

Ryan
lol by unplugging it and seeing the compressor didnt turn on...

Just got home from the dealer and they told me they pulled out 1.2lbs of refridgerant so the level was good but the compressor is running but not making pressure. So they estimated me 1200$ but I declined as I can change the accumulator and Ac compressor for 185$ and then take it back for a evac and charge.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N20zuki
lol by unplugging it and seeing the compressor didnt turn on...

Just got home from the dealer and they told me they pulled out 1.2lbs of refridgerant so the level was good but the compressor is running but not making pressure. So they estimated me 1200$ but I declined as I can change the accumulator and Ac compressor for 185$ and then take it back for a evac and charge.
$185?! That's pretty cheap. Remember to flush the system really well before you put any new parts on. Auto Zone sells a spray can used for flushing AC systems. Don't forget the oil either.

You're also better off buying a set of gauges and a pneumatic vacuum pump (if you have an air compressor). Evac and recharge prices are usually a rip-off.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

After doing more research 279$ for the compressor and accumulator... the 185$ was a no name brand piece, But this other one is the V7 factory one... Comes with the oil too.

I am going to have to look for the flush stuff, as I was going to jus take it to the dealer with the parts. Im at the point where I bought this car bc I was tired of workin on my cars continuesly but I guess I cant get away from it lol.

Quick Reply: AC took a crap