General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turned the steering wheel without the steering column installed HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Turned the steering wheel without the steering column installed HELP!

To make a long story short I forgot I removed the steering column and I turned the steering wheel about 2 revolutions before realizing. The airbag did not go off because I'm assuming that the battery was disconnected and still is... My questions is what can I do to make sure that my steering is aligned properly and the airbag doesn't go off when I connect the battery. Please help!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

The air bag shouldn't deploy but I bet you damaged the air bag coil in the column and the air bag light will be on. If you know how many times you turned it you can try and turn it back and see what happens.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not had the steering column out of a late model F body, but older GM's are splined such that they can only be installed one way - correctly.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02 35thLE
The air bag shouldn't deploy but I bet you damaged the air bag coil in the column and the air bag light will be on. If you know how many times you turned it you can try and turn it back and see what happens.
how difficult is it to replace the air bag coil? is it expensive? will the air bag still work without fixing it?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Not that hard to change. You need to remove the steering wheel and it's right there just have to unplug and pull the wire through the column. Not sure on the price. If the coil is damaged/broken then the air bag will not work.