General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overheating

Ok, here's my problem. I was driving down the highway today at cruising speed (65mph) and all of a sudden my Check Gauges light came on and everything looked ok except my temp gauge...normally it shows about 190-200 but it was well past 230 and as I kept driving it went all the way into the red. As soon as I could stop I could.

After about five minutes of being parked about half a quart of antifreeze was leaking from right below the passenger side headlight...right in front of the wheel. Then it stopped. The coolant level is good, there is no blockage at all...I'm mystified. Thermostat? It has to be right? After I waited around 20 minutes, I started it up again and drove 2 miles to my friends house, the temp stayed around 190-200 normal until about a mile down the road where it gradually started to climb. When we arrived at the house it was into the red again, then right before I parked and shut it off it started to go back to normal again?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So your coolant was being forced into the overflow reservoir (which is under the battery)????

To get hot that fast all of a sudden..it certainly sounds like the t-stat just stopped opening up.

I would simply take the radiator cap off (cold engine), top off the coolant, start it up and stand there for about 15 minutes and watch it. If the coolant starts to flow then the t-stat is working. If you keep going back and forth checking the temp guage and it just keeps getting hotter and hotter...you have a bad t-stat.

Better than the next possibility....blown head gasket pushing air into the system.

Radiator cap could have let go too.....but thats usually a gradual thing where you will see overflowing little by little and slowly increasing temps over a week or two.

OR.....your radiator could have sprung a leak in that area, or maybe a torn lower radiator hose.

You just need to start weeding **** out..........till you find the little sumbitch.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would drain the system and remove/check the thermostat (easiest thing to check IMO), and refill it with clean water/coolant just as a precaution.