General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Very strange starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very strange starting problem

So last night I was out while it was snowing and pretty cold playing around in the car (2000 Z28) and I parked it running fine. I go to start it this morning and the battery is dead, so I get it jumped, here is where it gets weird.

The car would not fire. It would turn over fine and I would just sit there cranking it, but no start. So I start withthe basics, either no fuel or no spark. Check spark. Remove 1 spark plug wire from plug and ask a friend to see if theres a spark coming out of it to a nearby stud. The car almost fires instantly. Weird, hmm.

So plug the wire back in and go to start the car again and it won't fire! Just sits there cranking. Disconnect the plug wire again and what happens? IT FIRES RIGHT UP! This time, he plugs it back into the spark plug and it stayed running. Its currently running, so I haven't tried reconnecting and restarting yet, but I figured this is not normal and maybe someone could shed some light on WHY?!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PFM (pure frikin magic)!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shorted plug? Wire damage that shorts out intermittently depending on how the wire is run?