General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need new battery......which one....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion those red tops kick ***. No leaks adds a nicer look to the under hood plus if you love loud music that red top will hold charge lot longer to support lights or a sound system while you work or clean the car. I got mine for about 100 bucks so I found it to be cheaper or about same price as a wet cell battery.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyhomie
In my opinion those red tops kick ***. No leaks adds a nicer look to the under hood plus if you love loud music that red top will hold charge lot longer to support lights or a sound system while you work or clean the car. I got mine for about 100 bucks so I found it to be cheaper or about same price as a wet cell battery.
Where did you find it for $100?

Only worry I have about the Optimas is all the talk about how they have really dropped in quality over the past few years.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Banned

Going to pick up another AC Delco "Professional" series.

4 yrs and 2 months 100% FREE replacement. Prorated from there.

800 CCA, 960 CA

$109.00 with exchange. Can't beat that.

This one lasted 6 years.....hopefully this new one will too.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Right choice. IMHO, Optima's are crap, and always have been. Tried some in a police car fleet I used to work for, and couldn't keep one in service longer than 8 mos.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Right choice. IMHO, Optima's are crap, and always have been. Tried some in a police car fleet I used to work for, and couldn't keep one in service longer than 8 mos.
Yeah, I was considering the Die Hard Platinum...but for $190.00, thats just crazy. The AC Delco is stronger and comes with a longer 100% FREE replacement warranty. Also, they redesigned it from the last 78-7YR I had in there for 6 years...now it has caps you can pull off the top to check the water level. They still say its a truly sealed battery , but they can be taken off to check them. Plus it weighs 15 pounds less than the Platinum.

They upgraded it to 800 CCA from the old 750 CCA and it has the same 960 CA.

I spoke to Advance Auto and PepBoys...they said they get alot of the Optimas back. So forget them. Plus they are all weaker than the AC Delco.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

I don't mean to high-jack, but do you guys think one type of battery will do better in the cold than another (wet vs. dry, or a certain brand)??
Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99Z2ate
I don't mean to high-jack, but do you guys think one type of battery will do better in the cold than another (wet vs. dry, or a certain brand)??
Don't know. But I called to ask the AC Delco rep a couple basic questions, and the dude was a wiz about batteries. Give them a call and ask them anything..800-223-3526.

They're not like talking to some jerk-off at a dealership or auto parts store...they know their ****.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

If you live in serious cold (like say, Minneapolis), go for the highest CCA that will still physically fit.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

If you live in serious cold (like say, Minneapolis), go for the highest CCA that will still physically fit.
No, I mean like Anchorage (and don't worry, this isn't for the F-Body)
Old 12-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

No, I mean like Anchorage (and don't worry, this isn't for the F-Body)
I used to be in Anchorage every month, it was my base for two years.......I'm a 747 driver...........loved "F-Street".

But I hear its not really a local favorite hangout.

Bush Company.......had some CRAZY nights there too.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

Seeing as you bought an ac delco battery, it really doesn't matter, but I've had an Optima yellow top for 6 years and its still working perfectly. The car has never died. I ran a thousand amps rms to subs in my third gen, then pulled the same battery and put it in my trans am with the same system in it (no capacitor) and it still works like new. With the stock AC delco battery, every time the subs would hit, the battery gauge would dip..and lights would dim. Not something you want.. After switching to the optima, there was no deviation on the gauge at all. I play music while I clean the car without the engine on for more than 2 hours. Fires right up. I can't kill the thing.

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
yes. the warranty is better, they last longer and perform better. as i said, they are odyssey batteries. i handle batteries a lot and i have never seen an optima last more than 4 years, regardless of what color it is. wet cells last longer than that.
If you've never seen one last more than 4 years, than I have no idea WTF people have done to it. I have one it my brothers envoy and my parents Escalade. No problems with any of them for years..
Old 12-27-2009, 03:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AdmAnt13
Seeing as you bought an ac delco battery, it really doesn't matter, but I've had an Optima yellow top for 6 years and its still working perfectly. The car has never died. I ran a thousand amps rms to subs in my third gen, then pulled the same battery and put it in my trans am with the same system in it (no capacitor) and it still works like new. With the stock AC delco battery, every time the subs would hit, the battery gauge would dip..and lights would dim. Not something you want.. After switching to the optima, there was no deviation on the gauge at all. I play music while I clean the car without the engine on for more than 2 hours. Fires right up. I can't kill the thing.

If you've never seen one last more than 4 years, than I have no idea WTF people have done to it. I have one it my brothers envoy and my parents Escalade. No problems with any of them for years..
maybe its a California thing. but every red/yellow top i have seen in the past year has been from 2005 and newer. every day i see wet cell batteries that are 6-8 years old, even had a 14 year old one come in last week. And a few days ago we had 3 blue tops that were 2 months old that were completely dead
Old 12-28-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Braille Battery>>lightweight battery.I ll try one after my Camaro's battery died..
Old 12-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AdmAnt13

I gave mine a try today. I have a 12" woofer and 6 Matts speakers with a 1,000 watt amp. It thumps and the guage doesn't move at all, thats with the a/c on and headlights on. The only thing I see it do, which it has to do is, as I slowly turn up the volume and it gets cranking harder and harder putting out more and more power, the needle will drop about a half its own width each time I crank it up more. But once I stop it'll go back up to where it started and the needle doesn't budge no matter how hard the woofer hits.

The model 78-7yr AC Delco battery is a beast. It can only have an equal, there's no better battery out there that'll fit and is made for regular passenger cars. And with a 50 month 100% free replacement, it can't be beat for $109.00. Its also the lightest battery. 15 pounds lighter than the Die Hard Platinum.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just chiming in.....its apparently a "your mileage may vary" circumstance, but I'm running a normal Red top that I got on ebay for about 8-9 years now....no issues. Been running 1000 watt systems on it, left my lights on a few times. Usually doesnt sit for more than a month without a start.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts

Do you have a link for this AC Delco Battery that you are talking about?

I was looking at one of these..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...e-battery.html
Old 03-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by the_merv
Do you have a link for this AC Delco Battery that you are talking about?

I was looking at one of these..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...e-battery.html
I got mine at Bennett.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

My optima is made in mexico. My last one was made in USA. This immediately raised flags with me.