General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering pump going out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump going out?

So there was this high pitched whining noise coming from the engine area of my car that when up and down with the RPMs and only occured while driving almost like a second pattern was developing on the gears (But coming from the front of the car as mentioned. My rear end already whines). Its a bit higher pitched than gear noise. I didnt think much of it since Im already getting my car modded I would just take care of it then. But now the rpms change everytime the wheel is turned while sitting still like its a problem with the power steering. This made me think that the whine is the power steering pump going bad. What do you think?

If it is I cant wait until the mods because I know when it goes bad, it takes the alternator with it
Old 12-24-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Could be the pump going out, but I'd check the fluid level first.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine whines when the car gets hot. around the middle of the temp gauge and it sounds like a root style supercharger
Old 12-25-2009, 05:29 PM
...with cheese.

It's not uncommon for the rpm to change while turning the wheel at idle. It takes a lot of *** to turn those front wheels while you're not moving. This puts a load on the motor, dropping your rpm slightly. The first thing I'd do is check the fluid level if you think this is the culprit. Does the sound change when you turn the wheel?
If it's your power steering pump going out and the noise has become audible than it's almost always true that the noise will be affected directly by the pump working.
Pop your hood and have someone sit in the driver seat. Have them turn the wheel while you listen.