General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leak at front of vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leak at front of vehicle

Hey guys I have a couple of coolant lines running from my radiator(lower coolant lines) that seem to be leaking some fluid. I haven't been able to find the source yet, but at first i thought it was transmission fluid. Now I am starting to think it could be PS fluid. Anyone have any experience with these symptoms?
They are located at the front of the block, passenger side. I will try to get some pictures up later. Thanks for any input...
Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

You would correctly have to figure out what fluid it could be and I take it would be a4.
My guess is power steering.
Dont know if im that redneck or not but I always taste the fluid if you cant tell what it is by color or feel. Each has their own significant taste....

Coolant-sweet, brake fluid=bitter, transmission/power steering=tangyish
Old 02-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I am sorry I. Its an 4L60-E.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
You would correctly have to figure out what fluid it could be and I take it would be a4.
My guess is power steering.
Dont know if im that redneck or not but I always taste the fluid if you cant tell what it is by color or feel. Each has their own significant taste....

Coolant-sweet, brake fluid=bitter, transmission/power steering=tangyish
Lmao I don't know if I would try that.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Need to know what color the fluid is. Pics would help to. There are a few line right there. It can be any one of those.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Teching In

btw... vehicle is a 2002 z28 camaro. I looked at it further and its either the line that runs directly under the crank pulley towards the transmission(3/4 inch thick), or the hard lines(2 factory steel lines) running to the rack and pinion i believe. I am trying to get ahold of my buddy, so I can get it on a lift to get a better point of view. thanks for all the input....
Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stburgpete
Lmao I don't know if I would try that.
Father is ASE mastertech/CCT/Service manager/ex 3rd special forces. Been doing it for years
Old 02-19-2010, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blazzin93z
Hey guys I have a couple of coolant lines running from my radiator(lower coolant lines) that seem to be leaking some fluid. I haven't been able to find the source yet, but at first i thought it was transmission fluid. Now I am starting to think it could be PS fluid. Anyone have any experience with these symptoms?
They are located at the front of the block, passenger side. I will try to get some pictures up later. Thanks for any input...
i think I have the same problem as you... leak from around the same place. My fluid that leaked was red, and It dried up that same day so I had to guess it was coolant. Did your leak dry up?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
My fluid that leaked was red, and It dried up that same day so I had to guess it was coolant.
Coolant isn't red. If you've still got the factory fill in your radiator it should be orange. Red is tranny fluid.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles are on the car? The steering racks have a tendency to leak after a while, and leak a red fluid.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Coolant isn't red. If you've still got the factory fill in your radiator it should be orange. Red is tranny fluid.
Yes, coolant can be red. It dried up so it wasn't tranny fluid.. only coolant would dry up and disappear.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Launching!

if these "coolant lines" are steel and go into the radiator on the passenger side, it is tranny fluid, and you would need tranny cooler lines. The power steering lines are on the drivers side. the fluid of probably black if you havnt serviced your tranny.