General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

The One eyed beast =)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The One eyed beast =)

for the fours years that I owned my car I have never replaced my drivers side low beam headlight but on my passenger side I have gone throught at least 5 Is this common problem or am I just a special case .......
Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it might be you if you're handling the bulb with dirty hands each time you install it,
next time you install a bulb or even do this to the current bulb, is clean the glass part of it with isopropyl alcohol, preferably 91% using a clean lint free cloth. Don't touch the glass at all when installing it or rub it up against crap when installing it.
other than that, i could be the headlight case has lost its seal and moisture is getting in or is contaminated with something inside.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 323 Likes on 296 Posts

You need to be specific as the lights are very different between Camaros and Firebirds. (I assume 1 FMF is talking about Camaros.)

On your Firebird, the lamps are sealed from the factory and don't take any special handling.

Have you changed your bulbs in the last 12-18 months? Are you using Sylvania bulbs? If so, it looks like Sylvania put out a bad series of bulbs.

At one point, I blew a set of Sylvania's after just a couple of months. (both sides) After that, my Sylvania's lasted longer but blew after two years. This is aggravating considering the stock bulbs from the factory lasted me 7 years! My high beams have also never needed replacing.

Other people have had similar issues.

The good news is that Sylvania has a warranty against defective bulbs, if you keep the packaging and receipt. However; the next time I blow one - I'll be looking for a different brand or will be replacing the units with a new system: http://eurolamps.com/eurolamps/camaro_headlights.htm