General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window motor?

Alright so my drivers window has been acting up...so since i bought my car in June 2009 i have had problems with my drivers side window...for some reason it doesn't like to operate a lot...like for example if i put the window down then try putting it back up sometimes it will make it half way then stop and i have to wait forever for it to like reset itself or something to get it to work again and sometimes it will make it all the way up and not go back down and even sometimes it will go all the way down the first time and not go want to go up at all and even sometimes it wont even make it down the first time...and when its not doing anything (going up nor down) and i press the button sometimes i hear a like buzzing under the steering column like a relay or something. What do you guys think is it a bad window motor, relay, sort, or something else.

Well i was told buy a few people its my window motor and another said its not the window motor per say, but its a over load strap thingey, lol. He couldn't remember the name. Its a strip of copper inside the motor that shuts the motor down to protect it if there is to much resistance. You solider in a piece of like 10 ga wire from terminal to terminal cut the coper strap and its good as new. Is this true and if so does anyone know more? Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Also idk if the the motors changed over the years either but mine is a 1994 and for all i know its the original.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-21-2010, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

those window motors are notorious for going out. when i had my som TA,bought brand new, the drivers motor went out with 2300 miles on it
Old 03-21-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by weaklt1
those window motors are notorious for going out. when i had my som TA,bought brand new, the drivers motor went out with 2300 miles on it

Wow, 2300 miles. . . . . That has to be a new record for crapyness.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple94Z28
Well i was told buy a few people its my window motor and another said its not the window motor per say, but its a over load strap thingey, lol. He couldn't remember the name. Its a strip of copper inside the motor that shuts the motor down to protect it if there is to much resistance.
Correct. Its the "device" that mainly turns the motor off when the glass goes all the way up or down.

Originally Posted by Purple94Z28
You solider in a piece of like 10 ga wire from terminal to terminal cut the coper strap and its good as new. Is this true and if so does anyone know more? Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated.
This will "fix" your intermittent issue but, crossed with the express down circuitry, could stress out your motor or start ripping your door apart. (This is an expensive and difficult thing to fix.) The thermal cutoff circuit is there for a reason.

Since you would have to take the motor out to do the modification, you might as well spend a few bucks for a new motor at the auto parts store, which will come with a lifetime warranty. If you go with the Doorman brand, you'll get an updated design and will get new parts. (Rather than risking getting someone else's worn cutoff circuit in a rebuild unit.)
Old 03-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks all for the advise i will prob just pick up a new one and just hope it lasts
Old 03-22-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That's your best bet. There is something of a window hotwire kit that used to be floating around here. It included bigger power and ground wires to the motors, giving them more current and helping them last longer. Replacing the motor is inevitable though. May as well take care of it. Wieak motor, small wire, poor window/door/regulator design = fixing power windows a lot.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My drivers side window motor lasted 6 years and 130,000 miles before it started acting up...I replaced it with a life time warranty window motor I got at Advanced Auto Parts for $29 and have never had any other problems..the passenger side is still working fine after 10 years and 204,000 miles...