General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

BCM question (FIXED ! ! )

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BCM question (FIXED ! ! )

Is the BCM for a 2000 camaro coded making me have to get it installed at the dealer?
or
can i just go to the dealer give them my VIN and get one and just plug and play?

I have an intermittent problem that cuts my radio (completely off) and does not alloy my master window switch and pass. switch to work. Grounds and powers were good. Connections were good. Came down to the BCM having an intermittent fault.

FIXED ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Last edited by MyFirstLS1; 04-15-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: found issue
Old 03-30-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

take alook at this thread may help you out:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html
Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

What the previous poster recommended. I had the same issue.. It turns out that a solder joint for one of the main relays had a VERY small crack in it. I re-soldered it and it's been fine since.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

If you do decide to replace the BCM, it will learn the reistance of the VATS pellet in your key when you first power it up. So yes, it is pretty much plug and play as long as you buy a new BCM.
There are some preferences that you may want to re-program ( i.e. keyless entry and alarm options ) depending on how your current unit is set-up, but I believe the owners manual explains how to do that.
I had the same issue as you, however I had no "cracked" solder joints; so I bought a new BCM, replaced it, and have had no more window, radio or power lock problems since.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i will take a glance but i have a feeling i will be going down the path of getting a new BCM. I called today and he qouted my 205$ which is alot less then what iwas expecting.

But that is just the information i was looking for, the repair though was good info.

appreciate the help guys ! thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well i took off the glove box so i can have access to it and mess with it. Well everytime it went down if i took the connectors and shook it, power returned again. Today i decided to take it out and look at the pins on both sides. While taking out i realized it is alot easier to open up then i thought, and i found this. . . .

A broken solder on a relay

I cleaned off the corrosion that built up on the broken solder and resoldered it and so far so good.

Quick Reply: BCM question (FIXED ! ! )