General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter problem..........

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter problem..........

Ok so when I go to start the car I just here a fast clicking sound. So I checked my battery it is reading 12.7 volts and then bought a new starter and put it on and nothing changed. I took the new starter off and jumped it and it engaged just fine. I tried reading the volts going to the starter cable and it said around 6.6 volts. I am thinking that is the problem.

I cleaned the terminals and such and same reading. Am I going to have to replace that wire and if so how do I go about doing that because it looks like there is a few power wires going to the positive battery terminal. And would advanced auto have that cable?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Ok so I went and got a new wire from the store and hooked it up and nothing, but I found out it has something to do with the other 4 ga. wires that are hooked up to the car. I ran the new wire straight from the starter to the top post on my battery and left the other two wires hooked up to the side post and the starter engaged. But when I take those other two wires and hook them up to the starter wire it just clicks and the voltage drops.

Anyone know what those wires do and where they go or why they might be causing this problem?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Are they factory wires?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Yeah I have not added them and they appear to be stock.