General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Complete electrical shutdown??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete electrical shutdown??

So its getting warm again, finally decide to get the car(98 camaro
) ready for the track, do a little tuning........ Idles fine, pull out onto the road and ease it up to third(th350),everything fine, turn around and get on it a little and it completely falls on its face, then picks right back up. I proceed to try it again paying a little more att and it repeats only this time I notice that the gauges cycle like they would after a flash, or like it lost power maybe? Another problem happening is the volt gauge is reading low like 9v, I have checked the voltage at the exciter wire 11.65v, and checked the batt voltage at the same time and its reading 12.5v. Put a buddy's batt and alt off his car onto mine with the same results........
It also does this in park which makes me think a little less likely to be movement related unless the engine torque is causing movement. Checked all the grounds, fuse post, cps connector, and cmp connector. Scan is not showing anything out of the ordinary other than a bad o2 and no fuel trim readings. Is there an Ohm value for the cps? any other ideas what it might be?

Thanks in adv
Old 04-06-2010, 05:46 PM
FormerVendor

Check to make sure your main power wires are getting good contact.... tight doesnt always mean it has good contact.... also check the main power cables condition for cracks ect....

Hope this helps!
Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

batt connections/wires also already been checked, pcm connections into harness, ground contacts also, i'm at a loss. Thanks for the advice though
Old 04-06-2010, 06:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Blk98Z28
batt connections/wires also already been checked, pcm connections into harness, ground contacts also, i'm at a loss. Thanks for the advice though
thats very wierd.... you have a short somewhere just gotta find it!

when you lose power is it every thing including radio ect. or just the car dies? is it a quick glitch or does it lose power for a while???
Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Default update

After messing with it a little more the comp case is actually carrying a positive charge, in relation to the 12v hot side of the battery, the case is only showing a 2.2v diff. Now I have to find where it is coming from, the chassis is showing a 12v diff from the positive terminal so its coming from the case but how? something internally perhaps? if you manipulate the comp and allow it to ground to the chassis it of course goes back to 12v diff from positive, but i dont think the comp is supposed to be hot unless grounded is it?