General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cooling question???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling question???

I have a 2000 Ws6 and my mods are listed below. My car starts over heating in traffic!!! i had to shut it off b/c it was wanting to go in the RED. but if i am driving or driving normal condtions scuh as stopping at red lights, etc..its fine it just stays to the left of 210. i was wondering if me having the cam would cause this problem or is it something else??? i was thinking of installing a manual fan switch... also if i turn the heat on while i sit in traffic the temp stays down...
any help guys or ladies would be very appreciated.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Fix it right, don't just add fan switches. The factory cooling system, when running properly, can support a 700 RWHP N/A engine with no porblem at all.

Two most common thing that cause you to overheat in traffic are fan problems (not coming on or maybe one is failed, maybe they won't go into high settings).

Make sure they bothcome on together....and make sure they both run on low and high settings together. Check you fuses/relays if they are not.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

This should be fairly simple to diagnose.

Drive the car around your neighborhood to get it nice and warmed up. Then drive back home and let it sit and idle. Watch the temp gauge and see if the fans kick on at all. I am 99.9% sure they are not going into high or not kicking on at all.

If they don't kick on, then your need to check to see if there is power getting to them with a multimeter. If voltage is there, then you have a bad motor or 2. If no power, then you need to go to the next part in the line which is probably the relay. Check for power in and out of the relay and a signal to the relay. Then check the coolant temp sender. That should be everything. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

there are three cooling fan relays.. #1 is low fans, # 2 is for high fans, # 3 is for parallel something, can some one explain to me what #3 does and which one do i need to check for my problem?? thanks guys
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FBGSU02
there are three cooling fan relays.. #1 is low fans, # 2 is for high fans, # 3 is for parallel something, can some one explain to me what #3 does and which one do i need to check for my problem?? thanks guys
Just check the 1 and 2 relays for now. If they're working the fans should be coming on together...in low and high settings together too.

You also could very well need the ole' condensor cleaning, which when dirty makes you overheat the second you slow down and stop....when the A/C is "on".
If you are getting hot when you stop in traffic when the A/C is "off".....you have fan problems.