General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Problem with low beams

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with low beams

For a few months now I noticed my low beams would flicker for a millisecond, barely noticable. Last night the low beams completely stopped working. The high beams had no problems at all. I checked the bulbs and even replaced them. No luck. A few hours later I started up the car again and the lows came on but died a few minutes later.

I checked under the car and noticed a ground wire near the radiator was broken up. It's the uninsulated grounding wire. I reconnected it to the ground but it's still not working. Anyone know where the wire terminates at and what its for? Also if u know where the headlight low beam ground is/
Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The ground in the harness may be the problem. One more thing is the circut may have surged and both lights blew. Sounds dumb, but check the bulbs first. I had that happen once. Many times I have made things more complex than they actually were.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lights are easy, Power and Ground.

Check your B+ voltage @ the low beam and the high beam connectors with the respective beams selected - they should be 12 V

Also check the resistance of your ground wires to B-; this value should be less than 5 Ohms.

If you don't have 12 Volts or < 5 Ohms then there is the location of your problem.

Also, if you have a High Beam or Low Beam relay (lor relays), swap it / them for a relay that works, if your problem is resolved, the relay was your issue.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

The problem isn't resolved, the bulbs are not blown. The low beams work sporaticly. Sometimes they are not on and if i flick the high beams the lows will come on. I troubleshooted the switch and that's not it. I noticed the little module under the dash for the headlights is melted a little bit. I have no idea how I'd change that out though.

my car is an 01 camaro and I was told they dont have headlight relays