General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

low voltage problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010 | 08:32 PM
Teching In

Default low voltage problem

ok heres my problem..last summer my voltage gauge read 14 volts 24/7.. then one day it randomly started dropping.. now whenever my car is idle or stopped at a stopsign or if im not moving and put it in reverse or drive it goes down to 12 volts.. but if i give it the gas then it goes straight to 14 volts..

things to know: recently purchased new altenator, had it replaced 4 times because of squeaking pulley, none of the 4 fixed it.. had battery tested. even had a dealership look at my problem (i was doing an internship there, so it was free) they told me everything is normal but that blows my mind because just last summer it was running solid 14 24/7..

also iv never had any problems starting it or anything, i even put a new battery from autozone in just to test and same thing.. checked all my grounds, not completely but just took a look and everything looked good.. found a little corrosion on the positive cable.. cleaned it and actually removed the whole entire positive cable which hooks to the starter, alt, battery blahblah PITA..

im completely out of options.. i did tests with a fluke 88 and other voltage testers.. also when i turn my lights and ac and other things on it drops.. i mean u will see it go from 14 to 12 like nothin.. and with the fluke it was at 12.1..

im out of options..
Old 05-13-2010 | 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

If I had to guess, I'd say your dash meter is sticking a bit. Having the voltmeter drop at idle is normal.
Old 05-14-2010 | 06:26 AM
Teching In

i suppose, it just never did that before until one day randomly.. and i have subs and stuff i wanna hook up im just worried about that..

the meter was dead on what the fluke said though, both read 12/13/14

edit: some other things to know, my car idles around 450-550ish, also the stock belt was about 5 inches short, so im guessing i have some type of underdrive pulley or something? iv read that may affect it but don't know...

Last edited by breNt*; 05-14-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2010 | 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Well, you're idle speed is REALLY low. Combine that with the possibility of a UD pulley, and you've got a real problem with getting any juice at idle. Sort that out before you put more demand on the electrical system.