General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing Ignition Switch on Auto 98 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Ignition Switch on Auto 98 Trans Am

Just got the dreaded security wont let the car start problem the other day. Looks like I need to replace the ignition switch and was wondering if anybody knew how difficult a job that is? If I have to pull the steering wheel I will probably just have a local shop do it, but figured I might be able to give it a try. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't changed one in an F-body, but usually you have to lower the steering column to get the switch out (not a big deal).
Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to replace the ignition switch, you need to replace the ignition key cylinder. I would bypass the the ignition key clyinder function instead. If you take your key to Radio Shack and ask them to read the resitance of the little blk chip on the key. Buy the closest resistor to that value then remove the bottom panel below your steering wheel. two philips screws hold it in place. Look up to the left side of the steering columb and you will see a small blue connector with two white wires. Unplug this connector and insert the resistor across the terminals of the connector that is coming from the body of the car. Leave the white two wire cable from the steering coloumb unpluged. The vats will now see the proper resistance and allow the car to start and you never need to worry about have this break again. Good Luck

If you do a search on bypassing vats on this forum you will find plenty of info.

Quick Reply: Replacing Ignition Switch on Auto 98 Trans Am