General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do you check a crank position sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar;[url=tel:20443133
20443133[/url]]The crank relearn is for "recalibrating" misfire detection. Engine still runs without doing the relearn, but misfire detection will be wrong.
so then you’re saying whenever you replace either the crank or the cam sensor with the new unit The vehicles computer automatically has the sensors calibrated to each other?
Old 07-05-2022, 07:38 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveC
so then you’re saying whenever you replace either the crank or the cam sensor with the new unit The vehicles computer automatically has the sensors calibrated to each other?
I lost a crank sensor in my GM work van a few years ago. Had the van towed back to my shop, plugged in a scan tool, and it said crank sensor. I had one from another LS build in the drawer, used of course. We dropped the starter, changed the sensor out, put the starter back on, started the van and off we went. Took all of 45 minutes to fix and no re-calibration of any sort to do. It’s a pre-calibrated sensor.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I lost a crank sensor in my GM work van a few years ago. Had the van towed back to my shop, plugged in a scan tool, and it said crank sensor. I had one from another LS build in the drawer, used of course. We dropped the starter, changed the sensor out, put the starter back on, started the van and off we went. Took all of 45 minutes to fix and no re-calibration of any sort to do. It’s a pre-calibrated sensor.
Thank you so much for the clarification, appreciate it very much.

Quick Reply: How do you check a crank position sensor?