General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

stripped lug bolt NIGHTMARE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped lug bolt NIGHTMARE!!!

Alright so I'm leaving the movies last night, and an 1/8th mile down the road I realize I have a flat. So I pull over in a gas station and try to get it off, stripped the bolt because the tire shop tightened them too tight, blah blah blah. Tried several things to get it off, with the most effective being using an easy out drill bit that we cut so it doesnt tap the stud but still catches the sides of the nut, but that bitch is in there TIGHT. Judging by the picture, am I going to have to grind out and replace the stud, or can I get this off without doing that? I doused the hell out of it with fluid film and am gonna let it sit overnight and try the easy out bit again, should that work? I don't wanna try the easy out with an impact wrench in fear of completely screwing this thing up. Any other suggestions?

Old 07-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will a Gator grip socket work? The OD of the socket is 1", so I am not sure if it would fit or not....
Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't think it would, there is literally no room inbetween the wall of the rim and the wall of the OD of the bolt.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:35 PM
The House is Rockin'

you could try filing the edges down to a smaller socket size. but to be honest that usually comes from bone-heads using the wrong socket size. which i assume you did when you first tried to get it off.

i have had some of the tightest lugs you can imagine that were compliments from the "tire shop", even then i have always been able to remove them by using the proper socket size.

Last edited by BLUES MAN; 07-18-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tighten down the lug nuts on either side of the stuck one. That will help release a little of the pressure of the wheel against the stuck nut and may allow it to break free.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gator grip pins can conform to any bolt shape... I use them on Predator UAV wheel halves for this tool I am designing.

The GG socket should really work, but only if the socket can fit into the bore of the wheel
Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats what I meant, it won't fit into the bore.

And you could call me a bonehead, but it wasn't all my fault. I was using the right size tourqe socket, but it didn't go into the bolt all of the way. However, its worked every other time i've used it, and only since the tire shop tightened the lugs too far is why it messed it up. I'm gonna try using the easy out again tomorrow.

But people talking about filing down the edges, look at the picture. its not a typical lug nut, its a circular bolt and accepts a hexagonal key. its not an actual nut that lays over the stud, it threads itself around the stud. If it was a typical lug nut, I could have just tapped it and drilled it with an impact wrench and easy out bit.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

craftsman bolt-out will do it. Or you could just drill out the top of the stud. You'll probably have to replace the stud anyw.ay
Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm about to take it to a shop to see if they can get it. If not I'll just drill out and replace the stud.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

got the lug nut off and got all new lug nuts on but tire was still damaged, getting 2 new rears tomorrow. nothing special, off brand **** tires just to last me til ship date.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice! you got it fixed!

I would have suggested though if all else failed to pound a smaller socket around the lug nut with a hammer... this trick is used by thieves to get passed wheel locks.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea but I couldn't fit a socket around the lug nut and the outside of it was rounded anyway. But the rest of the nuts came off with ease (and by ease, I mean I used my 4 foot breaker bar ) so i'm getting 2 new rear tires on either today or tomorrow. Wish I had a DD so I could leave the car in the shop overnight. Also wish I had a better job so that I could afford to eat until Friday after paying for these tires! fuckkk!!

Quick Reply: stripped lug bolt NIGHTMARE!!!