General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Crank Position Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Crank Position Sensor?

Ok guys just driving home and suddenly my tach goes to 0 engine was still running pulled into my driveway shut the car and and when I try to recrank it will crank and backfire and will eventually start. Could it be a bad cam sensor or crank sensor??
Old 07-29-2010, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is the camshaft position sensor. My car is doing the same thing right now. It actually kicked the service engine soon light and gave the camshaft sensor code. My car has no tachometer as well and doesn't like to start sometimes either. I bought the sensor, it is around $55 for AC Delco. The only thing that sucks is that it is located under the intake on the backside of the motor. I'm getting mine fixed next weekend, well at least replacing the sensor, I hope that is the only problem. Let me know what you find out. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Ok guys just driving home and suddenly my tach goes to 0 engine was still running pulled into my driveway shut the car and and when I try to recrank it will crank and backfire and will eventually start. Could it be a bad cam sensor or crank sensor??
If it turns out to be the cam sensor, I'm in Lauderdale and I have one for ya brand new in the AC Delco box. $50.00.

Bought it new at Phil Smith Chevrolet, popped it in and let it sit there till my new PCM got delivered. Found out my problems were a loose ground wire to the PCM/Engine block. I never even plugged the sensor up or bolted it down. I just took it out and popped my old one back in. I was gonna return it but just haven't yet. Paid over $100.00 for it.

I leave tomorrow morning at about 9:30am for the weekend, I won't be back in Lauderdale till Monday.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It just threw the check engine light finally so I'll see what it says but I'm willing to bet cam sensor also. The tach just went out in the middle of driving so it sounds like the sensor just went bad. I'm actually leaving town today also so I'll have to give you a pm mon to meet up thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is the cam sensor since your tach is out. That is where the tach gets its signal from.....
Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i changed my sensor an still no tach, i pulled my motor out an painted the bay. Could it be a b ad ground im also throwing a code idk wat one yet.

Quick Reply: Crank Position Sensor?