General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Excessive Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What effects does nitrous have on o2 sensors? The guy I bought the car from ran juice through It before u got it. I just pulled the 2 upstream sensors and the drivers side is white and the pass side has some white as well.

Driver side:

Passenger side:

Last edited by 02 CamaroSS; 08-09-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I can POSSIBLY accept getting 13mpg around town, but I seem to be getting the same mpg whether I am on city streets or the highway and that I CANNOT accept. I know something is wrong, its just a matter of finding it.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

I know I'm not the best person to ask as far as nitrous goes, but those 02 sensors both show signs of being ridiculously lean, which WILL f*ck with your gas mileage badly. Did you check to see what kind of fuel pressure you are running? And if the original owner was running nitrous the car could be tuned for that, which could also kill your mileage. I'd at least check fuel pressure at the rails by hooking up a gauge on that schrader valve on the driver's side fuel rail. It's possible you aren't getting the required fuel pressure and it's cutting out at 4k rpm because of lack of fuel.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
I know I'm not the best person to ask as far as nitrous goes, but those 02 sensors both show signs of being ridiculously lean, which WILL f*ck with your gas mileage badly. Did you check to see what kind of fuel pressure you are running? And if the original owner was running nitrous the car could be tuned for that, which could also kill your mileage. I'd at least check fuel pressure at the rails by hooking up a gauge on that schrader valve on the driver's side fuel rail. It's possible you aren't getting the required fuel pressure and it's cutting out at 4k rpm because of lack of fuel.
The guy told me had a kit laying around and jusy wanted to see if the kit worked. It wasn't likehe tan yhe car on juice all the time, bit who knows. I haven't checked fuel pressure, but Ivan going to. I am also going to hook an obd 2 scanner to it. Should the scanner give me a pressure reading? The car has 105k on it so I'm changing the upstreams just for reassurance.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Good idea. Something is fishy.. Your passenger side sensor is aftermarket and your driver looks OEM. I always replace mine in twos.

If the deposits show lean, then that wouldn't mach up with excess fuel consumption. Did you put on that locking gas cap yet? I wonder if the gas is disappearing before it gets to the cylinders - the pressure test should be telling.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
Good idea. Something is fishy.. Your passenger side sensor is aftermarket and your driver looks OEM. I always replace mine in twos.

If the deposits show lean, then that wouldn't mach up with excess fuel consumption. Did you put on that locking gas cap yet? I wonder if the gas is disappearing before it gets to the cylinders - the pressure test should be telling.
It's funny u mentioned the gas cap. Todays fuels evap at a much faster rate. I no this because if I don't start my 67 at least every 3 days, the bowls empty and it cranks for a while. The ring on the cap does have cracks all around It. I may go 2 the dealer yo get a replacement because I like the strap feature so I don't forget it. I haven't seen a locking or aftermarket period withvthe strap.

I don't no y only the drivers side was replaced and not in pairs. That should b telling in itself.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99

It shouldn't add up, but my wife's mustang did just that when her fuel pump was crapping out. One day it would get normal mileage, the next it would be clear down to around 8 mpg highway. I couldn't even begin to explain why some days the pressure would be fine, other days it would go super lean, then a few rare days it was so rich it would spit gas everywhere out of the pipes..... I'd definitely check your fuel pressures and pump. An OBDII scanner won't show that. You have to hook up a mechanical gauge to the schrader valve I mentioned to see fuel pressure. All the scan device will show is what is being commanded by the pcm, not the actuals.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
It shouldn't add up, but my wife's mustang did just that when her fuel pump was crapping out. One day it would get normal mileage, the next it would be clear down to around 8 mpg highway. I couldn't even begin to explain why some days the pressure would be fine, other days it would go super lean, then a few rare days it was so rich it would spit gas everywhere out of the pipes..... I'd definitely check your fuel pressures and pump. An OBDII scanner won't show that. You have to hook up a mechanical gauge to the schrader valve I mentioned to see fuel pressure. All the scan device will show is what is being commanded by the pcm, not the actuals.
Mine definitely DOES NOT get good mileage 1 day and poor on the orhers. I wish I got a good day. Mine is ALWAYS bad. I did some math and around town I'm getting around 13.33mpg. My problen Is, I'm getting 13.33mpg whether I'm on city streets or the highway. I should be getting AT LEAST 18-20mpg on the highway and Im not. The mpg does not improve with highway driving.

I will be installing a fuel pressure gauge. The specs I read were 54-62psi with the key on/engine off and the pressure should increase by 10psi while idling.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Yup that sounds about right. Problem is, the fuel pumps on these cars are kindof a bitch. Good luck to you at any rate
Old 08-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

So far I've done a resistance test on 5 of the 8 injectors and according to haynes, the resistance should be between 11-14ohms. I've got between 14.2-14.7ohms. Does that mean they need to be replaced? I haven't done the pressure test yet. That is next.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

i also noticed my gas gauge jump around a lot. Depending on which way the car is angled when I start it, the gas gauge reads different. It was just at empty now its at 1/8 tank. Only difference was the direction the car was pointing when I started it.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Ok. 58psi running, 48psi key on/engine off. The time it took me to pick up my phone, load this page and type this info, its bled down to 46psi. About 1.5min.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm.... Maybe an injector issue, or the fuel pump isn't maintaining pressure.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

The bleed down was with the key on/engine off, not running.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, at this point I'd like to officially say I'm stumped. Since you've already had the o2 sensors out, I'd just replace them and see if it makes any difference.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

So u think the fuel pressure is in order?

I ordered 2 upstreams today. I could have bought them from my local parts store, but I could only find Bosch sensors and I have been reading people saying to stay away from Bosch O2's. I did use 1 in my Rendezvous and it seems ok. I ordered Denso sensors and they half the price of the parts store Bosch's. They should be here in 2-3 days. I do have to say that, it seems since I pulled the sensors out to take the pics and reinstalled them, the mileage seems to have gone up a bit. HOW???, I have no idea. I am hoping when the guy ran the juice through it, it did something to them. The pass side is completely white and the drive side has white on it as well. I always associated white with being lean. Whenever my motor in my 67 was lean, the plugs were white.

Regardless of whether or not the upstreams are the issue, it will be reassuring to no 1, they are both new and 2, they both match. I came explain why the drive side was replaced and the pass side was not.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Teching In

My .02 would be on the tune and the O2s. After reading this thread, I think maybe I should check my sensors as well.

Last edited by xBrian; 08-09-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

I asked him if he did anything to the ecu and he said no.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Keep us posted on how it runs with the new sensors. It is really bizarre that only one was changed. I usually do both if I have one crapping out, just for peace of mind.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02 CamaroSS
Heres the latest. Just filled up. Gauge read 1/8 tank and it took 10.9gal. so the gayge is reading correctly. That means the gauge can now be taken out of the equation. With that eliminated, I can now move onto either a sensor or objectors issue. This is the 1 reason I love my 67 much better than this. With the 67 there can only be a few things. With this, that list Is infinate.

BTW, the trip odometer read 211 miles and that was whike using at least 85% highway.
211 miles / 10.9 gallons = 19.35 miles per gallon. Does not seem too bad to me.

I drove 75% hwy / 15% heavy city traffic and getting about 22mpg with the A/C on. But, I don't think 19mpg is bad at all.

Quick Reply: Excessive Fuel Consumption