General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition coils Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Ignition coils Question

I did the head gaskets on an LS1 so I unbolted the coils from the valve cover but kept them plugged in to the 1 1/2 foot harness and just unhooked it from the main one from the car on each side. I put them back on the each bank there suppose to go on but i'm not sure if the rear most coil on each bank is not actually the one that suppose to go on the front of the engine. I know the wires at each coil are color coded but I have no idea which is which.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

It Doesn't matter which coil/Plug wire goes where. Just make sure their all connected good

Coil--->plug wire--->Spark Plug.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Teching In

does that mean all coils in the engine fire at the exact same time while the engine is running?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:20 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Each coil fires independently for each cylinder. They are ground triggered by the computer for each cylinder at the right time.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Teching In

Thanks rwb, that was my question the first time but it was hard to explain. this is what I did, I unbolted the two bolts that hold each coil to the valve cover, then I set them on top of the intake and unhooked the thick white harness hooked on to valve cover and then to main engine harness. so in other words, that means I grabbed the white harness and lifted it with all coils hanging from it and put it on my bench. now for installation I know each harness is on its rightful bank. but I wasnt sure which coil was at the rear and which one was at the front but i think i figured it out. at every small harness that goes into the coil is a little yellow/brownish tape that says a number. example, number 1 cylinder coil wire harness has numbers 1/8 on it. so it could either be used on either left side 1 cylinder or right side 8 cylinder.... number 2 says 2/7 and etc...I hope I'm right but if not I'll just flip em but keep them at same banks. thanks for your help anyways 01wssick