General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Coils

I have a 98 Trans Am I was wondering how you check the ignition coils??? The car runs fine it just doesn't always turn over the first time. And it doesn't matter if its hot, cold, just had it running, parked on a hill, it just happens at random.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what do you mean by turn over?

if that means turn the key to start and engine doesn't crank, then that is either your starter, starter solenoid, or VATS ignition key security is faulty, or weak battery.

I think the only real way to check coils is with an engine oscilloscope which are big bucks and only a shop would have, and that probably wouldn't help since you say it's random. If you had a bad coil you would be getting misfires and have a SES light and the various codes supporting a bad coil.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Teching In

All that stuff has been replaced with in the last year. Except for the VATS ignition key, my security light on my dash is always on, also it probably doesn't help that I can take the key out of the ingnition while the car is running but my clicker works. It's probably not real easy to get another key?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Get a new one from a dealer. Piece of pie. Then hide the old one in your interior somewhere, put an extra door key in your wallet. If you lose your keys, your are good to go. Old school.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Teching In

go to the dealer, show them your registration or insurance card and they can cut a new one right there.. I just had it done myself this week.. It was $30
Old 09-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Cool Im not gonna run out the door and get that but Ill have to budget that in after payday, but it does suck when I go out to my car with people around and the damn thing doesn't start