General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting at random!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting at random!

2000 TRANS AM STARTS ONLY WHEN IT WANTS TO! Never seen such a crap! It's been getting worse over the past month. Motor turns over fine and won't hit at all. Sometimes if you keep trying it will suddenly fire up like nothing is wrong and when it does it runs perfect! Other times I might have to go out and try it several times.
I've tried the ignition relay already. So what's going on?

Thanks for help in advance.
Donnie
Old 09-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Launching!

sounds like ur vats system is crapping out. is ur security light on? thats part of ur security system that registers the chip in ur key. if u have a spare key try that. is there any wear on the chip (resistor) on the key. click on the link below do this and it should fix ur problem. i did this to my old camaro it was doing the same thing as urs. if u have any problems with the install shoot me a pm and i will help

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ht=bypass+VATS
Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Default Fixed!!!

I GOT IT! Last night I checked both keys and made no difference. I also tried switching Ignition Relay and nothing. I thought about it all day and decided to check my fuse box lids to see if they had been switched and sure enough they had so I had been switching the wrong relay. When I switched the right relay it fired right up.
The visual layout from one to another inside the boxes isn't that much different. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Launching!

No problem there has been a lot of people having problems like that all being either relay, solinoid, keys, or vats. Vats goes out very easy in our cars

Search this Thread