General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Slapping noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Slapping noise

when you catch a gear hard in my Trans Am it feels like something is hitting hard under the bottom. Its got a new poly trans mount on it. That seemed to help it ,sorta. During normal driving you have to ease the clutch out to keep it from slapping kinda like theres play in something.But its been that way ever since I've had it. Its just kind of annoying now with the cam. (I always thought the car was just solid and I never ran it hard anyway.) I also noticed sitting there idling at times the shifter will rock side to side slightly. Is it possible its the motor mounts doing this? Thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me when I had my TA. I used a after market poly tranny mount and it broke a couple weeks later. I changed it back to a brand new stock one and the problem was solved. And there was never any vibrations or anything.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

did the poly mount temporarily fix the problem? Mines been basically the same. And even with the poly I haven't noticed any vibration just that annoyingness of having to ease the clutch out to keep the car from bucking and slapping. Is it possible motor mounts could be contributing to it?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure that it's not your exhaust hitting the bottom of the car? I had the same problem and I changed out the tranny mount thinking that was the problem. Turned out just being the exhaust hitting the bottom when I got on it.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

All ready checked they dented everything that looked like it was remotely close to anything. You can actually feel the car like buck back and forth if you let the clutch out fast at all. It makes like a slapping or popping noise. The car has some cam surge and when it starts jumping and you mash the clutch in it makes a loud slap noise. Just normal day to day driving and you change gears and just let the clutch out like you would in every other car its like theres something in the drivetrain is loose and makes the car kind of bounce.But at highway speed its fine no vibration at all its just between gears its like something raises up and sits back down thats why i thought it might be motor mounts
thanks