General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Series of strange debilitating issues (Help!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series of strange debilitating issues (Help!)

Alright, the short problem is that my 99 T/A wont start. Couple of days ago when I gave it a try all I got was a *click* followed by gauge sweeps (CPU reset). This happened a number of times until it finally refused to even try, and all electrical died. This includes door locks/alarm etc. The car then proceeded to produce a strange quick knocking sound for a few minutes, from the engine compartment. I tried starting it again today, and again the electrical is completely dead, and the knocking sound resumed.

Here's the long story:

I don't drive my T/A very often at all (not nearly enough really), and about a year ago decided the MAFS needed to be cleaned while I also replaced my factory air lid with the SLP one. I did this because the car seemed to be lagging a bit. Anyway, everything seemed to work just fine, and the power seemed to be restored. I'm not sure this has anything to do with my current problem, but just wanted to provide it as back story. Months later (and after several successful trips in the T/A) I was getting ready to take the car out and all I got was this *click* when trying to start. Seemed like the starter to me, so I gave it a few more tries and the car started right up. I drove it for about an hour with zero issues. The next day I went to move the car and again, *click*. After a few attempts all electrical died, and the knocking sound began in the engine compartment. I waited about 20 minutes and tried again, this time I got it to go. The RPMs immediately jumped up to about 4-5k, and sat there for a good while (30+ seconds). They then slowly declined to a normal idle. I took the car out and drove it around the block. Throttle response seemed slow and the RPMs would occasionally take a while to come down after giving it some gas. I parked the car and tried to start it again, getting nothing but the *click*, followed by dead electrical, followed by the knocking sound from the engine compartment again.

Weeks (if not months) later I tried to start the car again. Again all I got were a few clicks, no real starting sound, and the dead electrical/knocking in the engine compartment. A few weeks later, same thing. The car has a very new (less than one year old) battery that seems to check out just fine. The throttle cable moves and returns just fine so I don't think there's anything physically wrong with it. I'm wondering if my CPU is somehow cooked or if there's a combination of factors.

Just a little more back story:

About 2 years ago I had sound proofing installed and an upgraded stereo, complete with capacitor and amp. I do have an occasional issue where one of the right speakers goes out, its very intermittent and my stereo guy can't seem to figure it out. My car battery also kept dying, which I initially thought was a short from the stereo install but I now believe that I simply tried to restore the battery too many times after several 6 month+ trips out of state for work, where the car sat and the battery drained. After replacing the battery with a premium one the battery has never drained, even after months of no operation. One of my power steering hoses has a known leak that I've neglected because of how absurdly expensive it is to replace, and the fact that it's a really slow leak.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated! I've got smog due on the car in about 3 weeks and can't even start it to drive it to a repair shop.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Bump... Any suggestions or theories? Getting desperate.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you, I'd attempt to jumpstart the car. I kind of get the feeling that your car just isn't getting enough or any power from the battery. Letting a car sit without starting it for weeks or months is bound to drain a battery severely. If you're not going to drive it, you really should put the battery on a trickle charger while it sits for weeks or more to keep the battery topped off.

You should also, before you jumpstart, get a volt meter and check the battery voltage. Good voltage is around 12.7 or thereabouts. If you're seeing 11's or worse, that would be the likely reason your car isn't starting. High 11's it will probably still start, but much lower and it'll likely just click. Also, clean the battery terminals just for good measure.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

I've tried jumpstarting a few times but no luck. Battery still checks out okay.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... hmmm. With dead electrical, I'm thinking its a ground somewhere. I'd check all applicable fuses in all the various fuse boxes and also check, remove and scrub clean any ground straps around the engine bay you can find. Check the starter too. All the wires around the starter, make sure they look good, not broken, etc. You may also want to check continuity of the battery cables. Put a tester on each end and make sure both are in good shape.

Honestly, this sounds exactly like what I've had happen to a 79 TA and 2 91 TAs. It always turned out to be a bad ground, or more accurately, corrosion on a ground wire. The knocking, as long as it's the same as mine was always from the starter, or possibly the solenoid from getting some power, but not enough to do anything useful because of the ground issue.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The issue at hand is obviously electrical.

Start with checking fuses and cleaning corrosion on all grounds as first step. It could also be a short in the wiring. I honestly don't think its the starter.

It could very well be the pcm.

You usually need a scan tool like tech2 to deal with issues like these, if you can get your hands on one or a friend would be tremendous help.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

man i feel mine was doing the exact same thing before i deployed. i know one time it cut out while i was in line at a drive though lol. as of now the car is sitting wait for me to get home... i do know when my folks tried to jump it, it would but when they swapped the battery from my step dads silverado it started up. thats all i was told. but before i left i had the alturnator test and some shops said it was good others said it was going out. so idk im having my car looked over by a lsx pro when i get back thats all i know
Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Looks like the battery has actually died since last week when I tried it. That battery was very expensive so I'm going to be pissed if I managed to ruin it. I know car batteries don't do well being fully drained, especially if you do it a few times and the cells begin collapsing. I can't find any issues with the ground, but hopefully I can get it running and to a mechanic asap.

Last edited by Jeresous; 10-22-2010 at 06:52 PM.