General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1998 WS6 OBD Code 0442

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1998 WS6 OBD Code 0442

Does anybody have any experience with this trouble code? My 'bird has been in the shop three times and they have not been able to correct this problem (I am starting to really loathe the GM Dealer).

They have replaced:
Gas Cap
Gas Tank Pressure Sensor

The Service tech is giving me the run around about the gas tank 'possibly' being the problem because there is some slight corrosion around the joint where the filler neck meets the gas tank. He tells me that GM does not make this tank anymore and there are no 3rd party manufacturers that make this tank. It seems to me that the Techs don't know what the heck they are doing in trying to troubleshoot this problem because there is more to the EVAP system than just the gas tank....

Thoughts, comments, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

DTC 442 Evap Control System Small Leak Detected

do you have access to a smoke machine?

check for cracked vacuum lines and a bad or weak fuel tank pressure sensor or purge valve

i would not rule out a small pinhole where the corrosion has built up on the filler neck due to the fact it would cause identical symptems as a bad gas cap.

hope this helps!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:51 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Had that problem in my '98 Mustang. The dealership and all of the forums were talking about various lines, valves, etc. Turned out that the problem was the seal between the filler neck and the tank had rotted out. PO442 is a real bitch. Usually the smoke machine, or a tech-tool are the more successful ways of finding the leak. I'd recommend you take it in, have them find the leak and then fix it yourself.

Edit: I'd find another shop if I were you. The leak's almost impossible to find if you're doing this in your driveway, but a shop, a "dealership" should have the tools and experience to find it like, yesterday...
Old 10-23-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ what they said. I've had situations like this at my shop. (toyotas) and it turned out to be the filler neck. Not saying u have the same problem, but possible. Also a small leak is too small to smell or see. Sometimes even a smoke machine will not completly do it. Gotta have a good eye for that
Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Teching In

The Dealer ran the smoke test, but nothing definitive came out of it. The hoses were and intact along with the charcoal cannister. They replaced the gas tank sensor, but that didn't solve the check code. Looks like I am looking for a gas tank. Do you guys know if any Firebird tank from 1998 will fit the my WS6?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:45 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Gas tank? I dunno why but I feel like that should be the last thing to get replaced. I still say filler neck seal, or anything else other than the gas tank. The smoke machine shoulda sniffed that out anyway...