General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

re using transmission fluid and oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re using transmission fluid and oil?

hey everyone about 2 weeks ago i removed my transmission to replace the rear main. I removed the tranny fluid and oil and when i finished i put fresh fluids back in. Well it still leaked slightly so i got underneath the car and checked that all the oil pan bolts were tight and also tightened one of the loose bolts that goes to the bottom of the rear cover on the back of the engine. Well needless to say i need to removed the tranny again! ugh! I really dont want to have to buy more tranny fluid and oil again, will there be a problem reusing the fluids that are in there now? Also once i fix it all and what not and get the bolts tight can i start the engine without the tranny back on to see if its leaking then?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Couple of issues here. I would say you absolutely could reuse the fluid IF you caught it in a perfectly clean container, like a brand new one. You can start the engine without the trans but it may throw a code and it definitely will not run/idle correctly. Anytime you change the spinning load/weight on the engine, then the computer has to relearn the idle. It would take 5-10 mins of feathering the throttle for the computer to figure it out. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could I use dry empty milk jugs to store it for a couple days or will it eat through?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As long as they are clean and dry. ATF won't eat thru plastic jugs. I use 1 gallon water jugs.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 397 Likes on 289 Posts

Yes, by all means re-use the oil. Go to a farm store and spend $1.50 on an aluminum catch pan. It will be clean and store your fluids until you're ready to refill the trans again.

I keep a couple of these pans around all the time. They are cheap, doesn't matter if you have to throw it away, and it's low enough to put under a car.

Quick Reply: re using transmission fluid and oil?