General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

smoke out left side tail pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smoke out left side tail pipe

I recently took off my air pump and hoses and now getting a lot of smoke out my left side tail pipe only. It's not black or blue like fuel or oil. Only smokes alot at idle but close to nothing when I'm moving. The smoke steadily goes away after the car runs for about 5-10 min. Tried searching but came up with negative results.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Condensation. If your cat-less it just makes it worse. Your exhaust piping is too cold because of the temperature and season, therefore the hot exhaust hits it and bam, condensation. Once the exhaust gets warmed up it's fine.

And to show this is related to removing the AIR, the AIR system is ment to pump hot air into the exhaust to warm up the cats to make them get to work faster on a cold day. This in turn will heat up the remaining exhaust piping more quickly.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't blow hot air to the cats, just air, fresh air helps heat the catalyst up quicker. If you look at other cars that just start up they are all probably smoking too. Last winter Before I had mufflers on the car I parked it for like 2 minutes. The condensation made a cloud so large a cop saw it from the hwy!