General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

where do you cut the hole to get to the fuel pump...............

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default where do you cut the hole to get to the fuel pump...............

I have that smell of gas still near my drivers side rear tire every time I get out of the car..............

So I need to replace that purge valve thats on top of the tank...and I want to cut a hole in the sheet metal to get to it instead of dropping the tank.

Anyone have a drawing, pictures, etc.....to show me exactly where to make the hole?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right in the middle! After you pull the carpet back, you can see a flat strip down the center with grooves on either side. Cut a SQUARE right in the middle as wide as the inside edge of the grooves and at longa as it is wide. You'll be spot on!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Right in the middle! After you pull the carpet back, you can see a flat strip down the center with grooves on either side. Cut a SQUARE right in the middle as wide as the inside edge of the grooves and at longa as it is wide. You'll be spot on!
I searched some more and found some pictures so I got it now.

BUT....my problem is not the fuel pump. On the 1998 modles can you tell me what that single elctrical plug is with the yellow cover? Is that what needs to be replaced when the gas smell is there?
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/y...9/SANY0012.jpg

I already checked my evap solenoid under the hood that goes into the intake....its totally clean and absent of the charcoal pieces. So is that yellow thing the next thing to replace?

Also, my tank is holding pressure for sure........maybe a line is just clogged and not allowing the fumes to get out through that clogged line? Maybe use an air compressor to blow a line clean.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check where the lines clip onto the pump. There's white plastic clips that keep them on an it could all come loose. And there's also a gasket where the pump assy seals to the top of the tank, check there. Keep a fire extinguisher handy if you're cutting with the fumes. A cut-off wheel works best, but you'll have a lot of sparks above the ignition point. Maybe jack the rear and run a garden hose to get some water on top of the tank too. Once you have it opened up, run the car and see if you get a dribble somewhere. I'd also get under the car and inspect both lines front to back. Pay attention around fittings like the filter. Also check the pressure release valve on the fuel rail. Speaking of, release the pressure with that valve before you pull any lines off anywhere. Hold a rag up to it and press the valve in (similar to a tire valve stem) with a nail or small screw driver.

That picture isn't what my pump looked like at all...on my 02 Firebird anyway. I'll look and see if I have pics..
Old 11-24-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, never mind. I just read that the 98s have the same tank/pump as the 93-97 cars. Here's a pic I found for your style tank/pump:

Old 11-24-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I have that smell of gas still near my drivers side rear tire every time I get out of the car...........
Have you checked that the fuel filter fittings are not leaking...?