General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main seal issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear main seal issues

So I'm replacing the main seal in my 5.3 pull out cause I accidently tore it when installing the rear cover plate. The motor is somewhere between a 00-03 and I'm having troubles finding a seal that matches the stock seal.

Gm on the left and Federal Mogul/National on the right

Gm left and Napa SKF on the right

Has anyone else replaced a rear main seal on a GENIII Ls engine and had this issue or is it just me? the Federal Mogul seal number was cross referenced with the stock seal and the guy at O'reillys gave me it. I was leary do to the fact its no where near close to the same width as the stock seal, so I went to Napa and they gave me the SKF seal and its the closest width to the stock seal but the material and construction of it greatly differs and that kinda worries me. I don't wanna pull the motor after installing it cause of this.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Revoroller
So I'm replacing the main seal in my 5.3 pull out cause I accidently tore it when installing the rear cover plate. The motor is somewhere between a 00-03 and I'm having troubles finding a seal that matches the stock seal.

Gm on the left and Federal Mogul/National on the right

Gm left and Napa SKF on the right

Has anyone else replaced a rear main seal on a GENIII Ls engine and had this issue or is it just me? the Federal Mogul seal number was cross referenced with the stock seal and the guy at O'reillys gave me it. I was leary do to the fact its no where near close to the same width as the stock seal, so I went to Napa and they gave me the SKF seal and its the closest width to the stock seal but the material and construction of it greatly differs and that kinda worries me. I don't wanna pull the motor after installing it cause of this.
I had the same issue, ended up putting a fel pro which looked the same as that national you pictured, has held up fine so far just seat it a little deeper on the cover