General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering wheel misaligned

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel misaligned

When I bought my car the steering wheel was and still is off about 10* to the left. It drives in a straight line like that, and there's no real free play in the wheel to speak of, I'd like to fix it now so my question is what would cause this? Could a simple trip to a place that does alignments fix the problem?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely,,,that will be your best and easiest option, just take it and have a front end alignment on it, they will center the wheel and make sure your alignment is within spec.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Awesome, good to know. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

...take it anywhere but NTB
Old 02-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Hi, the aforementioned on alignment is correct. They will align all four wheels to prvent the car from going down the highway at an angle. I'm sure you have seen them before. Usual cost from $50 to around $100.00.good luck and drive safely......have a blessed day........jim
Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
...take it anywhere but NTB
My local NTB has a guy they call the old man that does alignments and he is one of the best around. Each place is independently owned with different workers and managers, so don't put down them all since you had a bad experience at one.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
My local NTB has a guy they call the old man that does alignments and he is one of the best around. Each place is independently owned with different workers and managers, so don't put down them all since you had a bad experience at one.
It was 3 but I get ur point. OP, If u take it to NTB...WATCH those "techs" when they touch ur car.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AwsmGy
When I bought my car the steering wheel was and still is off about 10* to the left. It drives in a straight line like that, and there's no real free play in the wheel to speak of, I'd like to fix it now so my question is what would cause this? Could a simple trip to a place that does alignments fix the problem?
Yea....I think I've had like 5 alignments since I bought the car new 13 years ago. I've had the same place do the alignment each time and they have always done it perfectly.

But this last time I had it done after I rebuilt my entire front end.......I pulled out and the damn steering wheel was like a 1/4" to the left. They have a 30 day guarantee so I just brought it back and the4y fixed it the following week.

Centering that steering wheel is all about the alignment shop. They are how you fix it.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I worked for a well known national tire and brake franchise and the manager's motto was "set the toe and let it go" sheesh what a chump that guy was. A person can't really say one is as bad as the other because different folks and that.........

Stick around and watch them. IF they say no go somewhere else.